Last year’s Stradbroke Handicap winner Impending...
Punters around Australia are all using different methods to pick this afternoon’s Melbourne Cup 2012 winner and for the statistical bettors out there below we take a look at how to pick the champ using historical trends on the winning Melbourne Cup saddle cloth numbers.
The 2012 Melbourne Cup saddle cloth numbers could hold the key to a successful bet on Flemington Race 7 this afternoon with some punters paying just as much attention to what the most successful saddlecloth numbers have been throughout the years in the ‘race that stops a nation’ as they would the form on the trainers and jockeys.
Below we take a look at some of these winning trends and which horses in the 2012 Melbourne Cup field have the best and worst saddle cloth numbers statistically speaking.
Melbourne Cup Saddle Cloth Winning Trends
- Numbers 4 and 12 are the most successful saddlecloths boasting 11 wins each – most recently with At Talaq (#4 in 1986) and Makybe Diva (2003)
- This year those Melbourne Cup saddle cloths belong to #4 Red Cadeaux ($9) and #12 Galileo’s Choice ($15)
The next best saddlecloth numbers are then:
- No 1 with 10 wins – this year that’s #1 Dunaden ($7)
- No 8 with 9 wins – this year that’s #8 Mount Athos ($7)
- No 11 with 7 wins – this year that’s #11 Fiorente ($41)
- Over the past 34 years however horses assigned No. 6 have won five times
- This year #6 is Peter Moody’s $151 roughie Voila Ici but triple-figure roughies have only won the Melbourne Cup on three occasions
- Saddle cloth numbers 4 and 6 have won four of the last fifteen Melbourne Cups
- The worst saddle cloth numbers with just two Melbourne Cup winners are #7, #18, #21 and #23
- This year that RULES OUT #7 Cavalryman ($31), #18 Niwot ($61), #21 Precedence ($101) and #23 Zabeelionaire ($51)
- The next least successful Melbourne Cup saddle cloth numbers with only three wins are then #16, #20 making #16 Mourayan ($26) and #20 Lights Of Heaven ($18) RISKY BETS this year
- Last year’s Melbourne Cup winner Dunaden wore saddle cloth Number 3
- This year Dunaden will wear #1 while #3 belongs to Jakkalberry ($71)
- The saddle cloth number to go the longest without producing a Melbourne Cup winner is #20 with Gaulus the last back in 1897
- This year #20 Lights Of Heaven ($18) will look to break the hoodoo
To back the winning Melbourne Cup saddle cloth number (and the horse wearing it!) head straight to bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $400 bonus welcome bet offer!
Melbourne Cup Winning Saddle Cloths
|1||10||Makybe Diva (2005)|
|2||7||Delta Blues (2006)|
|4||11||At Talaq (1986)|
|5||7||Makybe Diva (2004)|
|7||2||Just A Dash (1981)|
|9||5||Straight Draw (1957)|
|11||7||Empire Rose (1988)|
|12||11||Makybe Diva (2003)|
|14||4||Media Puzzle (2002)|
|15||5||Let’s Elope (1991)|
|16||3||Piping Lane (1972)|
|17||5||Rogan Josh (1999)|
|18||2||Peter Pan (1932)|
|23||2||King Ingoda (1922)|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.