Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Godolphin entire Cavalryman heads into the 2012 Melbourne Cup without the fanfare of a number of the other overseas contenders but is an experienced stayer with form on the board.
To win the $6 million Melbourne Cup, a horse has to be tough and possess the stamina to run a strong 3200m and the aptly named Cavalryman can do just that.
He brings with him tremendous recent form but does he have the class to upset the best of the best?
Unsure about this stayer who has competed in Dubai and throughout Europe?
Keep reading for the stats that matter and the key pros and cons regarding Cavalryman’s chances in Australia’s biggest race.
#7 Cavalryman – Horse Facts
- Jockey: Frankie Dettori
- Trainer: Saeed Bin Suroor
- Barrier: 6
- Owners: Godolphin Management Co Ltd
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Entire
- Breeding: by Halling out of Silversword
- Win: 22%
- Win and Place: 48%
- Last 6: 271142
- Prize Money: $2,423,688
- Career: 27-6-4-3
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 1-0-1-0
- Current 2012 Melbourne Cup odds: $34.00
Why Cavalryman can win the 2012 Melbourne Cup
- Proven at the distance, having won the Listed Sandown park Marathon (3300m) in July
- Has not finished outside the top four in his four most recent starts
- Has leading jockey Frankie Dettori aboard
- Well drawn in barrier six
- Gets in nicely at the weights with 54kg
Why Cavalryman can’t win the 2012 Melbourne Cup
- Yet to race in Australia – how has he travelled?
- Godolphin have never won the Melbourne Cup
- Does he have the turn of foot to win the Melbourne Cup?
- Does he have the class of the other raiders?
Is Cavalryman the right soldier to end Godolphin’s run of outs in the cup? Or will it be too tough an ask? Whether you like him or any other horse, the best odds can be found at bookmaker.com.au.
Home of the $400 bonus bet offer, bookmaker.com.au is fully Australian owned and has a wide range of products to suit all your Melbourne Cup day needs.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.