Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Globetrotter Jakkalberry joins the large contingent of overseas raiders looking to steal glory in Australia’s favourite race, the 2012 Melbourne Cup.
The seven-year-old produced an uninspiring performance in the Caulfield Cup but trainer Marco Botti has described his charge as a “tough horse” and is tipping him to improve on Tuesday.
So will this seasoned traveller overcome a big price with the bookies and salute for his Australian owners? Or will it be a case of simply another international who couldn’t quite make the grade on the biggest stage?
Keep reading for all the key Jakkalberry stats as well as the reasons for and against him succeeding come race 7 on Melbourne Cup day.
#3 Jakkalberry – Horse Facts
- Jockey: Colm O’Donoghue
- Trainer: Marco Botti
- Owners: Australian Thoroughbred Bloodstock (MGR D DANCE), T Porter, S Duke, M Casey, D Mclennan, Scg Racing Pty Ltd (MGR S GEREAUX), Merlin B’Stock (MGR J RICHARDS), D Love, G Gereaux, M Johnston, M Eastmure, P Brittain, S Davidson, Y Xie
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Entire
- Breeding: by Storming Home out of Claba Di San Jore
- Win: 40%
- Win and Place: 60%
- Last 6: 3x51x0
- Prize Money: $1,557,283
- Career: 25-10-2-3
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 0-0-0-0
- Current 2012 Melbourne Cup odds: bookmaker.com.au
Why Jakkalberry Can Win the 2012 Melbourne Cup
- Will take improvement out of the Caulfield Cup lead-up
- Is a seasoned traveller, having competed in many countries around the world
- Won the Americain St Leger in August and placed at Group 1 level in the Sheema Classic in Dubai
- Is a Group 1 winner in Italy
Why Jakalberry Can’t Win the 2012 Melbourne Cup
- Probably lacks the class of some of the other internationals
- Beaten nearly seven lengths when 13th in the Caulfield Cup
- Untried at the distance
- Wide barrier 19 draw
Think Jakkalberry can win the Melbourne Cup at a big price? Fancy another horse? Whoever you are backing, the best place for Melbourne Cup betting is bookmaker.com.au, home of the $400 bonus bet offer!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.