Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
With the 2012 Melbourne Cup now thought of as an extremely difficult task to win with a locally-bred horse, many have taken to purchasing overseas stayers and one this year is Winchester.
The former American stayer is now trained by John Sadler and if he returns to the sort of form that made him a Group 1 winner in the States he can make an impact on Australia’s biggest race day.
The problem is he hasn’t won since August 2011 and has so far struggled to adapt to Australian conditions with four failed starts.
Can this American import overcome a huge price and poor form to win the Melbourne Cup? Listed below are the important facts and pros and cons about this veteran stayer heading into the Melbourne Cup.
#5 Winchester – Horse Facts
- Jockey: Jamie Mott
- Trainer: John Sadler
- Barrier: 22
- Owners: Rosemont Stud Pty Ltd (MGR A MITHEN), D M Harvey, M J Hirst, S R Curwood, Anembo Bloodstock Pty Ltd (MGR A HARDWICK), Obe One Syndicate (MGR J O’BRIEN), P D Mcnamara, Swan Street Syndicate (MGR E MCKEON) & T G Casanelia
- Age: 8YO
- Gender: Entire
- Breeding: by Theatrical out of Rum Charger
- Win: 23%
- Win and Place: 52%
- Last 6: 3×9996
- Prize Money: 1,766,235
- Career: 29-6-6-3
- Track: 2-0-0-0
- Distance: 0-0-0-0
- Current 2012 Melbourne Cup odds: $59.00
Why Winchester Can Win the 2012 Melbourne Cup
- Has won at Group 1 level in the US
- Purchased with the deliberate goal of targeting the race
- Has been running on suggesting he wants further in all his starts since arriving in Australia
Why Winchester Can’t Win the 2012 Melbourne Cup
- Hasn’t won since August 2011
- Unplaced from two starts at Flemington and yet to race at the distance
- Beaten a minimum of three lengths in all four Australian starts
- Barrier 22
Want to back Winchester or any other horse at great odds? Place your Melbourne Cup bets at bookmaker.com.au!
As a new customer signing up quoting the code BONUSBET you can give your Cup betting a major boost with their $400 bonus bet offer!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.