Team Hawkes-trained Niwot heads into the 2012 Melbourne Cup looking to improve on his eighth place finish in 2011.
The son of Galileo has not been able to recapture his excellent 2012 Autumn Racing Carnival form this campaign and connections were disappointed with his effort, when finishing twelfth, in the Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m).
However, co-trainer Wayne Hawkes said the eight-year-old has trained on well since that run and is one of only four horses in the Melbourne Cup field who has won over 3200m, having won the Group 1 Sydney Cup (3200m) earlier this year.
The courageous galloper is currently available at long odds but can he upset the more fancied European stayers and win the Melbourne Cup for Australia?
Keep reading for all the relevant information assessing Niwot’s chances in the 2012 Melbourne Cup.
#18 Niwot – Horse Facts
- Jockey: Dwayne Dunn
- Trainer: Michael, Wayne and John Hawkes
- Owners: R & C Legh Racing Synd (Mgr: R & Mrs C Legh), S W Kay, Gurners Bloodstock Synd (Mgr: A Ramsden), M J & Mrs M A Calman & N J & Mrs J S Griffin
- Age: 8YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Galileo out of Too Darn Hot
- Win: 28%
- Place: 44%
- Last 6: 1×0080
- Prize Money: $1,192,825
- Track: 8:3-1-0
- Distance: 3:2-0-0
- Current 2012 Melbourne Cup odds: $51
Why Niwot Can Win the 2012 Melbourne Cup
- Is a proven performer over 3200m.
- Has won 4/4 when 5th up from a spell.
Why Niwot Can’t Win the 2012 Melbourne Cup
- Only two eight-year-olds have ever won the Melbourne Cup.
- Has been in disappointing form this campaign.
- No horse has won the Sydney Cup/Melbourne Cup double since Makybe Diva in 2004.
- Lacks the quality needed to compete with the leading stayers.
Think Niwot can cause a Melbourne Cup boilover or do you fancy another runners?
Whatever your tip you can find the best odds for the 2012 Melbourne Cup at bookmaker.com.au.
Give your 2012 Melbourne Cup betting a boost by signing up today and quoting the code BONUSBET when making your first deposit to receive a welcome bet worth up to $400!