Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
American import Sanagas is a $51 2012 Melbourne Cup outsider for a reason, his current form has been less than appealing.
But if there is one man that knows how to train a Melbourne Cup winner it is the legendary Bart Cummings and he will shoot for a 13th title with this American import and fellow runner Precedence on Tuesday.
You only have to go back four years when Bart won the Melbourne Cup with Viewed paying $41 and on that evidence alone it is hard to completely rule out Sanagas.
But does he have the class to beat a hot field that many are describing as one of the best ever?
Keep reading as the Races.com.au analysts have been working tirelessly to bring you the key facts and pros and cons regarding this roughie from the stable of the Melbourne Cup legend.
#9 Sanagas – Horse Facts
- Jockey: Nick Hall
- Trainer: Bart Cummings
- Barrier: 4
- Owners: BC 3 Thoroughbreds (W H VLAHOS), Dick & Morrissy Racing Synd(S MORRISSY), T Helfers, J York-Helfers, J Black, G & R Wood, M Sutherland, Heinrich B’Stock Synd (G HEINRICH), D Bernsen, A Patterson, S Davidson,j Zaiter & R Craigie
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Lomitas out of Scota
- Win: 47%
- Win and Place: 53%
- Last 6: 6×0030
- Prize Money: $288,845
- Career: 15-7-1-0
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 0-0-0-0
- Current 2012 Melbourne Cup odds: $51.00
Why Sanagas Can Win the 2012 Melbourne Cup
- Bart Cummings – the Melbourne Cup master
- Drawn well in barrier four
- Ran home strongly in the Caulfield Cup in a performance that was better than 10th place suggests
Why Sanagas Can’t Win the 2012 Melbourne Cup
- Poor form, beaten a minimum of five lengths in four Australian starts
- Yet to run at track or distance
- Hasn’t won since November last year, has had five starts since
- Doesn’t have the class factor of the Europeans
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.