The past two winners of the ‘race that stops a nation’ have both drawn double digit gates in the Melbourne Cup 2012 barrier draw as they look to secure another win in the famous Flemington feature on Tuesday with Duanden and Amercain drawn in barriers 16 and 12 respectively.
A full 24-horse field for the $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup(3200m) was released by Racing Victoria on Saturday afternoon after the Victoria Derby Day racing action with the 2012 Melbourne Cup barrier draw taken live from Flemington soon after.
Notable Melbourne Cup 2012 Barriers & Horses:
- #1 Dunaden (16) – Last year’s winner jumped from 13, three wider this year as they look to go back-to-back
- #2 Americain (12) – Current favourite in the Melbourne Cup betting markets, the French galloper drew gate 11 for their win two years ago and are just one wider as they look to improve on their fourth to Duanden 12 months ago
- #4 Red Cadeaux (18) – Last year’s narrow runner-up has drawn the one Melbourne Cup barrier that has never produced a Melbourne Cup winner
- #6 Voila Ici (13) – Unlucky for some? Last year’s Melbourne Cup winner jumped from barrier 13 and this year it belongs to Peter Moody’s import
- #8 Mount Athos (8) – One of the top three fancies in the pre-field markets, Luca Cumani’s horse has drawn to perfection for their Australian debut
- #10 Ethiopia (14) – One of the best locally-trained chances in this year’s Cup, Australian Derby winner coming off a Cox Plate fourth and is yet to start from a gate wider than 11 but gate 14 has produced three of the past 12 Melbourne Cup winners
- #12 Galileo’s Choice (11) – Dermot K Weld’s chance of a third Melbourne Cup winner, smart Irish galloper drawn in the most successful barrier of the modern era, barrier 11 having produced seven winners since 1924 including Americain in 2010
- #14 Green Moon (7) – Perfect draw for Turnbull Stakes winner looking to bounce back from their loss as the beaten favourite in the Cox Plate
- #15 Maluckyday (9) – Best backed of the Aussie Melbourne Cup contingent gate nine, one outside of Mount Athos should suit
Meanwhile the two Melbourne Cup barriers no trainers want to draw are the extreme inside and outside and this year the Luca Cumani-trained My Quest For Peace, who would thrive if the predicted rain falls on Melbourne Cup Day, has barrier one while gate 24 belongs to 52kg lightweight Zabeelionaire.
The Melbourne Cup 2012 barrier draw is sure to affect the Melbourne Cup odds.
Check out the updated markets and get behind your favourites at the best prices online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the $400 bonus welcome bet offer!
Melbourne Cup Barrier Draw & Field 2012
Flemington Race 7 – 06/11/2012
|1||DUNADEN (FR)||Mikel Delzangles||16||Craig Williams||59kg (inc.1.0kg pen.)||120|
|2||AMERICAIN (USA)||Alain de Royer Dupre||12||Damien Oliver||58kg||118|
|3||JAKKALBERRY (IRE)||Marco Botti||19||Colm O’Donoghue||55.5kg||113|
|4||RED CADEAUX (GB)||Ed Dunlop||18||Michael Rodd||55.5kg||113|
|5||WINCHESTER (USA)||John Sadler||22||Jamie Mott||55.5kg||110|
|6||VOILA ICI (IRE)||Peter G Moody||13||Vlad Duric||55kg||110|
|7||CAVALRYMAN (GB)||Saeed Bin Suroor||6||Frankie Dettori||54kg||108|
|8||MOUNT ATHOS (IRE)||Luca Cumani||8||Ryan Moore||54kg||108|
|9||SANAGAS (GER)||Bart Cummings||4||Brad Rawiller||54kg||108|
|10||ETHIOPIA||Pat Carey||14||Rhys McLeod||53.5kg||110|
|11||FIORENTE (IRE)||Gai Waterhouse||2||James McDonald||53.5kg||107|
|12||GALILEO’S CHOICE (IRE)||Dermot K Weld||11||Pat Smullen||53.5kg||107|
|13||GLENCADAM GOLD (IRE)||Gai Waterhouse||7||Tommy Berry||53.5kg (inc.3.5kg pen.)||107|
|14||GREEN MOON (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||5||Brett Prebble||53.5kg||112|
|15||MALUCKYDAY (NZ)||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||9||Jim Cassidy||53.5kg||107|
|16||MOURAYAN (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||3||Hugh Bowman||53.5kg||108|
|17||MY QUEST FOR PEACE (IRE)||Luca Cumani||1||Corey Brown||53.5kg||107|
|18||NIWOT||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||15||Dwayne Dunn||53.5kg||108|
|19||TAC DE BOISTRON (FR)||Michael Kent||21||Olivier Doleuze||53.5kg||107|
|20||LIGHTS OF HEAVEN (NZ)||Peter G Moody||17||Luke Nolen||53kg||112|
|21||PRECEDENCE (NZ)||Bart Cummings||20||Blake Shinn||53kg||105|
|22||UNUSUAL SUSPECT (USA)||Michael Kent||23||Glyn Schofield||53kg||105|
|23||ZABEELIONAIRE (NZ)||Leon Corstens||24||Craig Newitt||52kg||103|
|24||KELINNI (IRE)||Chris Waller||10||Glen Boss||51kg (inc.1.0kg)||101|