This Victoria Derby Day Guy Walter’s proven Group 1 performer Streama will be out for a third elite level title to add to her impressive record in the Myer Classic 2012, but can the punters’ pick come good on race day?
Due to jump at 3:45pm (AEST) as Flemington Race 7 the last of the four Derby Day Group 1’s is the $500,000 Group 1 Myer Classic (1600m) which has drawn a final field of 13 quality mares.
Streama in gate nine with Hugh Bowman to ride is one of five previous Group 1 winners in the mix, the Stratum four-year-old having won the Flight Stakes and Australian Oaks in Sydney as a three-year-old, and is also the Myer Classic betting favourite at a quote of $3 through bookmaker.com.au.
She is also the only last-start winner in this year’s Myer Classic having defeated a similar field on Caulfield Cup Day in the Group 2 Tristarc Stakes (1400m), but can she make it back-to-back Melbourne wins this weekend?
#1 Streama – Horse Form
- Jockey: Hugh Bowman
- Trainer: Guy Walter
- Owners: Mr G R J Coghlan, Mrs P R Coghlan, Ms S L Coghlan
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Stratum (AUS) out of Sovereign Red (NZ) mare Pensiamo (AUS)
- Career: 16-7-4-2
- Win: 43.75%
- Place: 81.25%
- Last 6: 21×361
- Prize Money: $1,276,750
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 1-1-0-0
- Current 2012 Myer Classic Odds: $3
Yes – Streama Will Be the Myer Classic 2012 Winner
- Deserved favourite still at a backable price
- Is already a dual Group 1 winner that has amassed over $1.2 million in prize money so has plenty of class
- Easily accounted for fellow Myer rivals #6 Pear Tart ($8) and #4 Red Tracer ($9) when winning the Tristarc Stakes last start from barrier 13 of 13
- Comes into gate nine which they should be able to run okay from
- Regular rider and ace jockey Hugh Bowman stays on
- Has won one from one over the distance
- Is the only last start winner in the race
- Second best Win Rate of the field (43.75%)
No – Streama Won’t Win the 2012 Myer Classic
- Has never raced at Flemington Racecourse before
- Only two horses in history have won the Tristarc Stakes – Myer Classic double of the 17 that have tried since the latter first ran in 1988
- Roughies, not favourites, have won the past two Myer Classics
- Only 9 favourites have won over the years
Sticking with the favourite in the Myer Classic betting markets this year? Get Streama at the price you want with bookmaker.com.au’s exclusive Pick Your Own Odds markets open on all the Flemington races this weekend and all throughout the spring!