Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday a 13-horse field of classy mares will face off on Victoria Derby Day in Flemington Race 7 – the 2012 Myer Classic– and to give our readers the upper hand below are the insider Races.com.au tips on the weight-for-age classic.
Scheduled to run 45 minutes after the day’s marquee event, the Victoria Derby, the $500,000 Group 1 Myer Classic (1600m) is also the fourth Group 1 race on the nine-event Flemington race card.
Leading the latest Myer Classic odds at bookmaker.com.au is Guy Walter’s last-start Tristarc Stakes winner Streama who is one of five individual Group 1 winners in the race.
It’s a relatively wide open Myer Classic betting market too with four other hopefuls at single-figures to win with last year’s Epsom champ Secret Admirer ($7), the winter’s Tattersalls Tiara winner Pear Tart ($8), triple Group 1 victor Yosei ($8.50) and the always honest Chris Waller-trained Red Tracer ($9).
So is the Races.com.au Myer Classic tip to win at single-figures?
Or are we tipping an upset Flemington Race 7 result on Saturday with a longer priced chance such as market mover Oasis Bloom ($10) or even Guy Walter’s Group 2 winner Skyerush ($26) rated special to win?
Earlier in the week we published our exclusive Myer Classic 2012 Form Guide Facts & Betting Stats and based on the info we uncovered there, below are our top four for the race this weekend.
#1 Streama ($3)
- Is the top fancy for a reason but still worth taking at this price
- Second highest win rate of the field (43.75%)
- Only mare coming off a last-start win having taken out the Tristarc Stakes against a similar field
- One start for one win over the mile
- Champion hoop and regular rider Hugh Bowman stays on
- Dual Group 1 winner
#6 Pear Tart ($8)
- Good winning strike rate of 54.55% – the highest of the field
- Group 1 winner of the Tatt’s Tiara during the winter
- Runs well third-up and should be fit this time in
- Second to Streama in the Tristarc was a good run with improvement to come
#10 Oasis Bloom ($10)
- Early market mover with money coming in for them steadily; often worth following the money trail
- Ridden by last year’s winning jockey Damien Oliver from ideal barrier five draw
- In great form having won the Group 2 Stocks Stakes over the mile two back before their second to Star Of Giselle over 1600m on Thousand Guineas Day
- One of only two in this field to win at the track before
- At their pet distance here (2-1-1-0)
Roughie We Like
#7 Raspberries ($26)
- Really nice price for one of Peter Snowden’s two chances here
- Jockey Kerrin McEvoy has won this race before (Forensics, 2008)
- Is a previous Flemington winner and can improve on their luckless 11th in the Tristarc
Lock in our Myer Classic 2012 Trifecta Tip, or your own selections, in at the best prices online now at bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $400 bonus welcome bet offer!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.