The countdown is well and truly on until Flemington Racecourse comes to life with the ‘race that stops a nation’, the 2012 Melbourne Cup field, barrier draw and jockeys due for release on Victoria Derby Day, Saturday November 3.
2012 Melbourne Cup Field, Barriers & Jockeys
Victoria Derby Day – 03/11/2012
- Melbourne Cup Final Acceptances close at 4:30pm (AEST)
- Melbourne Cup Barrier Draw takes place live from Flemington from 6:30pm (AEST)
- Melbourne Cup Jockeys to be declared by 7:00pm (AEST)
- Melbourne Cup Odds updated and released soon after at bookmaker.com.au
Australia’s pinnacle race, and to many the best thoroughbred showdown run anywhere in the world, the $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) is scheduled as Flemington Race 7 on Tuesday November 6, 2012.
There are still officially 46 horses entered for the world’s richest handicap but those entries will be cut to the final 24-horse 2012 Melbourne Cup field just before the Derby Day races finish up for another year.
Melbourne Cup final acceptances close on Saturday at 4:30pm (AEST) after the final two races offering the winner a Melbourne Cup ballot exemption are run and won – the $250,000 Group 3 Lexus Stakes (2500m) and the $1 million Group 1 Mackinnon Stakes (2000m) scheduled as races 2 and 5.
Shortly after the Melbourne Cup acceptances are taken by Racing Victoria the field will be released to the public with Races.com.au one of the first to publish the list of hopefuls heading towards classic.
Just as important as the release of the Melbourne Cup field is then the Melbourne Cup barrier draw 2012 which is also due to take place on Derby Day.
There will be live coverage from Flemington Racecourse after the day’s racing commencing at 6:30pm (AEST) with connections of the Melbourne Cup horses selected at random to pick the gate their gallopers will start from.
Melbourne Cup Barrier Stats
- Barrier 18 has never produced a Melbourne Cup winner (since barriers were introduced in 1924) – no connection will want to pull this one out at the 2012 Melbourne Cup barrier draw
- The most successful barriers in the modern era meanwhile have been Barrier 11 (7 wins), Barriers 5/10/14 (6 wins), Barriers 6/8/19 (5 wins) and Barriers 1/4/17/22 (4 wins)
- Barriers 9 – 12 have been the most successful in recent years with four victories in the past 11 years
- Nine of the past 12 Melbourne Cup winners have jumped from just four different gates with Barrier 14 (3 wins), Barrier 10 (2 wins), Barrier 13 (2 wins) and Barrier 22 (2 wins)
- Barrier 13 – the gate last year’s Melbourne Cup winner Duanden jumped from, can they draw it again in 2012?
- Barrier 11 – Americain jumped from this barrier for their 2010 win, they drew gate 14 last year when fourth to Duanden – what gate will they get for their third straight run in the Cup?
Following the Melbourne Cup 2012 barrier draw connections will then have to declare their Melbourne Cup jockeys by 7:00pm (AEST).
Soon after the official make-up of the Melbourne Cup field is known and the gates are drawn our preferred online bookie bookmaker.com.au will release their updated Melbourne Cup betting odds.
Current, pre-field Melbourne Cup odds are led by 2010 winner Americain ($6) and the defending champ Dunaden ($7) with English raider Mount Athos ($8.50) yet to race down under the only other single-figure chance.
Bookmaker us here at Races.com.au and stay tuned throughout Victoria Derby Day for all the latest Melbourne Cup 2012 field and betting updates.
In the meantime make sure you also open your bookmaker.com.au account so you have access to the premium Melbourne Cup odds for 2012.
Even better, back the Melbourne Cup winner for free with bookmaker.com.au’s $400 bonus welcome bet offer – bookmaker.com.au
Former Melbourne Cup Winners & Barriers
|1997||Might And Power||2|