Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
After the action of the Victoria Derby at Flemington Racecourse on Saturday punters will be sticking around for the day’s fourth Group 1 feature with the 2012 Myer Classic scheduled as Race 7, the must know facts, form guide analysis and betting preview on the fillies and mares clash detailed below.
A quality field of 13 mares including five former Group 1 winners, is engaged for the $500,000 Group 1 Myer Classic (1600m) this year with the latest bookmaker.com.au odds led by firming $3 favourite Streama.
The dual elite level champ comes off a nice victory in the Group 2 Tristarc Stakes and had the measure over fellow Myer hopefuls Pear Tart and Red Tracer who finished two-three behind her last time out and who are both rated an $8 chance of turning the tables with a win on Saturday.
Other early fancies in the Myer Classic odds include last year’s Epsom Handicap winner Secret Admirer ($6.50) and triple Group 1 winner Yosei ($6.50).
So should you follow the Myer Classic betting markets when you enjoy a bet on the Victoria Derby Day feature on the weekend?
Or is there value backing a longer priced hopeful such as Soft Sand ($10) or market mover Oasis Bloom ($11) for an upset Myer Classic result?
Having gone over the entire field and form guide below are the must know Myer Classic facts and betting stats to help you lock in the right horses.
2012 Myer Classic Facts & Betting Form Stats
- Last year’s Myer Classic winner Hurtle Myrtle was third-up for the season, came off an unplaced run at Caulfield and jumped from barrier 13 (of 15) with Damien Oliver in the saddle
- This year eight of the 13 hopefuls come off an unplaced run – the shortest-priced of which is #2 Secret Admirer ($6.50), barrier 13 belongs to #12 Appearance ($31) and Oliver (who also rode 1998 Myer Classic winner Bonanova) will shoot for successive wins with #10 Oasis Bloom ($11)
- Other horses to be ridden by a former Myer Classic winning jockey this year are then #4 Red Tracer (Corey Brown – Sacred Choice 2010, Zanna 2003), #12 Appearance (Michael Rodd – Divine Madonna 2007), #7 Raspberries (Kerrin McEvoy – Forensics 2008), #11 Soft Sand (Craig Williams – Lyrical Bid 2006) and #3 Yosei (Glen Boss – Miss Potential 2004)
- Meanwhile there are three horses in the field prepared by a previous Myer Classic winning trainer with #2 Secret Admirer (Grahame Begg – Bonanova 1998), and the Peter Snowden (Forensics 2008) trained outsiders #9 Shannara ($41) and #7 Raspberries ($31)
- #1 Streama ($3) is the only last start winner in the field having won the Tristarc Stakes at her most recent run
- Of the 17 Tristarc Stakes winners to back up in the Myer Classic since its inauguration in 1988 only two have been successful in completing the double with Mingling Glances (1993) and Typhoon Tracy (2009)
- The past six Myer Classic winners have all come through a different lead-up race
- Hurtle Myrtle ($15) was the second roughie to win the Myer Classic on the trot following Sacred Choice ($25 in 2011) who was also unplaced in her lead-up run
- 9 favourites have won the Myer Classic throughout history – the most recent of which was Typhoon Tracy ($2.20 in 2009) – with #1 Streama out to become the 10th this year
- The only two horses to win at Flemington before are #7 Raspberries (2-1-0-0) and #10 Oasis Bloom (2-1-0-0)
- Over the mile the mares with the best record are #1 Streama (1-1-0-0), #2 Secret Admirer (7-2-1-2), #4 Skyerush (7-2-1-2), #7 Raspberries (10-3-2-1), #10 Oasis Bloom (2-1-1-0), #12 Appearance (1-1-0-0) and #13 Full Of Spirit (4-1-1-0)
- #6 Pear Tart ($8) boasts the highest Win Rate of the field with 54.55% followed by #1 Streama (43.75%) and #4 Red Tracer (42.86%)
- The best place percentage then belongs to #4 Red Tracer ($8) with 80.95% followed by #1 Streama (81.25%)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our exclusive Myer Classic betting tips to be published ahead of the weekend.
In the meantime why not check out all the Derby Day betting odds and options including the Australian-first Pick Your Own Odds markets open now at bookmaker.com.au – home of the $400 bonus welcome bet offer!
2012 Myer Classic Field & Form Guide
Flemington Race 7 – 3:45pm (AEST) – 03/11/2012
|1.||STREAMA||G H Walter||Hugh Bowman||9||57||4yoM||14||$79,797||16: 7 4 2||43.75%||81.25%||21×361|
|2.||SECRET ADMIRER||G M Begg||James Mc Donald||2||57||5yoM||14||$57,216||21: 3 5 7||14.29%||71.43%||x22350|
|3.||YOSEI||S J Webb||Glen Boss||1||57||5yoM||21||$40,927||29: 4 1 3||13.79%||27.59%||x06783|
|4.||RED TRACER||C J Waller||Corey Brown||6||57||5yoM||14||$41,191||21: 9 3 5||42.86%||80.95%||514×13|
|5.||SKYERUSH||G H Walter||Blake Shinn||10||57||7yoM||7||$17,071||38: 8 8 10||21.05%||68.42%||82×234|
|6.||PEAR TART||John Thompson||Christian Reith||8||57||4yoM||14||$56,945||11: 6 1 0||54.55%||63.64%||111×72|
|7.||RASPBERRIES||Peter Snowden||Kerrin Mc Evoy||7||57||5yoM||14||$23,235||21: 7 4 1||33.33%||57.14%||881×40|
|8.||INVEST||Heath Conners||Peter Mertens||4||57||4yoM||17||$26,117||17: 3 2 3||17.65%||47.06%||110×07|
|9.||SHANNARA||Peter Snowden||James Winks||3||57||6yoM||14||$19,129||22: 4 6 2||18.18%||54.55%||542×99|
|10.||OASIS BLOOM||P Morgan and C Widdison||Damien Oliver||5||57||4yoM||17||$37,033||6: 2 2 0||33.33%||66.67%||1×7012|
|11.||SOFT SAND||C W Little||Craig Williams||12||57||4yoM||14||$19,375||11: 4 1 1||36.36%||54.55%||10×495|
|12.||APPEARANCE||G H Walter||Michael Rodd||13||57||4yoM||14||$23,129||8: 3 1 1||37.50%||62.50%||441×37|
|13.||FULL OF SPIRIT||R A James||Steven Arnold||11||57||4yoM||14||$11,209||13: 4 1 1||30.77%||46.15%||14×160|
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.