Taking place on Saturday at Moonee Valley as part of 2012 Cox Plate Day is the Group 2 2012 Moonee Valley Cup (2500m).
For many it represents a final chance to gain a start in the 2012 Melbourne Cup and as such has attracted a reasonable field.
Top of the market is Lloyd Williams-owned import Midas Touch ($4.60) who is only slightly ahead of Ibicenco ($5.00), an international raider from the Luca Cumani stable, and the Bart Cummings-trained Precedence ($5.00).
In what a is a fairly cluttered market, Gerald Ryan’s veteran Ironstein ($6.50) is not too far away nor is Moudre ($8.50).
But the chances don’t stop at single-figure prices, with Metropolitan third placegetter being offered at $11.00 and emerging stayer Vatuvei at $14.00.
Unsure who to back in the race otherwise known as the 2012 Drake International Cup? Don’t worry, the hard work has been done for you by the Races.com.au experts who deliver to your our expert selections.
#4 Ironstein $6.50
- Genuine stayer who will have no problem running the distance
- Has been progressing well this spring, finished third in the JRA Cup and fourth in the Herbert Power Stakes in his last two outings
- Won twice over 2400m and once over 2600m
- Trainer Gerald Ryan is confident he is the best he has been all preparation
#9 Midas Touch $4.60
- Has not been at his best this time in but has class
- Group 1 placed last spring
- Reports out of the Williams camp is that he should be much improved here
#11 Vatuvei $14.00
- Promising stayer from the Peter Moody stable who gets up to a suitable trip here
- Won the Listed VRC St leger in April over 2800m
- Group 3 placed during the Queensland Winter Carnival
Whether you agree with out Moonee Valley Gold Cup selections or not ensure you are getting access to great odds by betting with bookmaker.com.au this weekend.
Open an account quoting the code BONUSBET when joining in time for Cox Plate Day and be rewarded with an amazing $400 bonus bet offer!