Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
He’s the bargain Adelaide horse out to fulfill a dream for Adelaide trainer Paul Beshara in the 2012 Cox Plate this weekend.
Bought for $11,000, 63-year-old Beshara has tailored Happy Trails‘ spring campaign with the ultimate goal of the Cox Plate in mind and he believes he is in good order to upset his more highly-rated opponents.
“Everything’s good. I don’t get nervous on big race days and this will be no different,” Beshara said.
“I’ll just be looking for my boy to be putting in the big strides late.”
So can this cheap-as-chips gelding blaze a Happy Trail on the big stage? Or will it be one step too far? We’ve compiled the statistics and pros and cons to help you decide if he is a genuine contender this Saturday.
#7 Happy Trails – Horse Facts
- Jockey: Kerrin McEvoy
- Trainer: Paul Beshara
- Owners: P & Mrs E Dickmann, J & Mrs K Dickmann & Ms N Dickmann & P Swanell
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Good Journey out of Madame Flurry
- Career: 27-4:6:5
- Win: 15%
- Win and Place:
- Last 6: 0x1x40
- Prize Money: $893,800
- Track: 4-1-1-1
- Distance: 2-0-1-0
- Current 2012 Cox Plate Odds: $51.00
Why Happy Trails Can Win the 2012 Cox Plate
- Has good lead-up form, won Dato’ Tan Chin Nam and finished second in the Memsie before running fifth in the Turnbull. All proven Cox Plate lead-ups.
- Won the Dato’ Tan Chin Nam showing his suitability to Moonee Valley, a race in which he beat top fancy Green Moon
- Is versatile and can be ridden on the pace or back which gives Kerrin McEvoy plenty of options from barrier eight
- Has been set specifically for the race
Why Happy Trails Can’t Win the 2012 Cox Plate
- Poor winning strike rate of just 15%
- Yet to win at the distance from two starts
- Might have peaked too early, finished top two in his first three spring starts before the Turnbull fifth
For great odds on the Cox Plate this weekend be sure to visit bookmaker.com.au.
The Races.com.au preferred bookie is fully Australian owned and is offering new customers the chance to give their
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.