Ciaron Maher’s Victorian visitor Villermont is...
He’s the longest priced runner in the 2012 Cox Plate field but does that mean Linton is without a chance at Moonee Valley tomorrow?
He’s yet to win a Group 1 race but has come close in the top grade on a number of occasions and can produce a big performance on his day.
Linton is coming off a disappointing 11th in the Turnbull Stakes after a failed experiment in race tactics but trainer John Sadler said they will revert to the tried and true this weekend.
“We rode him forward in the Turnbull which we won’t do again,” Sadler said.
“But he was only beaten five lengths so when you’re only beaten five lengths and you’re disappointing, it’s not all bad.”
So will Linton overcome an $81.00 price and win the Cox Plate? To help make up your mind we have compiled some comprehensive statistics and a full list of reasons to back or sack the Cox Plate roughie.
#6 Linton – Horse Facts
- Jockey: Steve Arnold
- Trainer: John Sadler
- Owners: Estrela Energia (MGR MR STEFAN FRIBORG), M B Talty, P G Talty And M P Talty
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Galileo our of Our Heather
- Career: 19-4:2:4
- Win: 21%
- Win and Place: 53%
- Last 6: 0x1x40
- Prize Money: $893,800
- Track: 4-1-0-1
- Distance: 6-0-1-1
- Current 2012 Cox Plate Odds: $81.00
Why Linton Can Win the 2012 Cox Plate
- He’s shown he can match it in the top grade, two Group 1 placings to his name
- Runs the trip easily, having won at 2400m
- Has won at Moonee Valley before
Why Linton Can’t Win the 2012 Cox Plate
- Winning strike rate of just 21%
- Yet to win a Group 1 race
- Coming off an 11th-place effort in the Turnbull
- Never won at the distance
- He’s $81.00 with for a reason, lacks the credentials of his rivals
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.