The weekend’s sensational last-to-first Caulfield Cup winner Dunaden has soared to the top of the 2012 Melbourne Cup odds with the reigning champ tipped to successfully defend their title in the ‘race that stops a nation’ on the first Tuesday of November.
Punters could get Mikel Delzangles‘ Nicobar seven-year-old at double figures in the bookmaker.com.au odds for the $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) last week, but the star stallion has now firmed into the $7 favourite.
Having their first run down under since winning last year’s Melbourne Cup, on Saturday Dunaden retained their undefeated status in Australia with a flawlessly executed ride from Craig Williams leading them to a half-length triumph in the $2.5 million Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m).
Coming from the extreme outside barrier Dunaden and Williams were able to gun down a gallant Alcopop on the straight and charge home to become the first Caulfield Cup top-weight in history to reign supreme.
Dunaden is now gearing up for another Melbourne Cup trophy, with their price in the Melbourne Cup betting markets likely to be affected by what, if any, weight penalty Racing Victoria’s chief handicapper Greg Carpenter hands them at 11:30am (AEST) today for their Caulfield Cup success.
There are just two other single-figure fancies in the latest Melbourne Cup odds with:
- Americain ($8) – Another Frenchie, Alain de Royer Dupre’s Dynaformer stallion won the 2010 Melbourne Cup and ran a sensational race in the Caulfield Cup finishing an eye-catching fourth having also carried the equal 58kg topweight
- Mount Athos ($9) – Luca Cumani-trained British raider will go straight to the Melbourne Cup for their Australian debut fresh, last race was their third win on the trot back in Britain in August, will be the fresh horse and won’t have seen the two miles over a year
Following this top trio are then another six horses under $20 with:
- Green Moon ($11) – Second favourite for the Cox Plate, Lloyd Williams’ Turnbull Stakes winner is in peak form but whether they will progress on and run a strong two miles is up in the air
- Brigantin ($12) – French raider ran a brilliant second in the Prix Kergorlay over 3000m last time out, set to debut down under in Wednesday’s Geelong Cup, a win in which will see them shorten in the Melbourne Cup markets
- Red Cadeaux ($12) – Ed Dunlop-trained galloper was in good form during our winter over in Britain, needs to bring that form back to Oz as they did 12 months ago to finish second in the Melbourne Cup by the narrowest of margins
- Shahwardi ($15) – Stablemate of Americain showed the internationals were going to be a force to be reckoned with again this spring when they won the Herbert Power Stakes, bypassed the Caulfield Cup in favour of a 2012 Cox Plate run
- Tac De Boistron ($18) – Aussie-owned grey won a Group 2 over 2800m last time out in France back in July, another Geelong Cup contender looking to make their mark ahead of the big one
- Galileo’s Choice ($19) – Dermot Weld’s chance of a third Melbourne Cup, won last two in Ireland mid-year over 2816m and 2414m respectively, winning form over the two miles there too in the Hurdles, goes fresh into the Cup
Likely to affect the Melbourne Cup betting odds are also this Saturday’s Cox Plate results with a number of the top cup fancies set to face off in the $3 million weight-for-age classic at Moonee Valley on the weekend.
There is also the 2012 Geelong Cup running on Wednesday, a race that has produced the past two Melbourne Cup winners with both Americain and Dunaden completing the double.
To view the full Melbourne Cup markets and betting options and lock in your early picks for the world’s richest handicap, head straight to bookmaker.com.au where all new depositing customers are rewarded with a bonus bet valued up to $400!
2012 Melbourne Cup Odds
Flemington Race 7 – 06/11/2012
|TACE DE BOISTRON||18.00|
|QUEST FOR PEACE||21.00|
|LIGHTS OF HEAVEN||26.00|
*Fixed Win Odds are Top 16 only and provided by bookmaker.com.au – subject to change