Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
Melbourne’s Caulfield Racecourse was host to a bumper 10-race program today, Saturday October 20, for 2012 Caulfield Cup Day, the official Caulfield results, winning trifectas and race wrap-ups detailed below.
The more noteworthy Caulfield Cup Day 2012 Winners were:
- Al Aneed (Race 2 – Gothic Stakes) – Improving Mick Price-trained More Than Ready colt earned a Sandown Guineas assignment at the end of the spring with a soft win here atoning for his last start loss at Mornington.
- Hvasstan (Race 3 – Norman Robinson Stakes) – Emotional win for connections but pay day is coming for their most expensive purchase yet, Fastnet Rock colt Hvasstan – a $260,000 buy, firmly on the 2012 Victoria Derby trail after a well-earned Group 3 win here.
- Alzora (Race 4 – Ethereal Stakes) – Green but got there, those are the comments for the David Hayes-trained filly who will now progress onto the 2012 Crown Oaks next month.
- Howmuchdoyouloveme (Race 6 – Caulfield Sprint) – Awesome effort by a lightly-raced sprinter first-up who stepped up to Group company for the first time. Showed they were an exciting spring prospect in Melbourne this season booking a trip to Flemington for the 2012 Patinack Farm Classic.
- Dunaden (Race 8 – Caulfield Cup) – The accolades won’t stop for a while when it comes to this year’s Caulfield Cup winner, French star Dunaden coming back to Oz after a Melbourne Cup triumph here last spring to again reign supreme, expect them to firm into 2012 Melbourne Cup favouritism after this stellar performance especially if gun jockey Craig Williams makes it to the first Tuesday of November this time.
Experience the benefits of betting online with a 100 percent Australian owned and operated online bookie by signing up with bookmaker.com.cau today and you will also be rewarded with a $400 bonus welcome bet simply by depositing and quoting the code BONUSBET!
Race 1 – 11:30am $100,000 Snowhite Maintenance Plate (1400m)
- 1st: #5 A Time For Julia ($2.20F)
- 2nd: #3 Ciao ($21)
- 3rd: #2 Real Stolle ($21)
- Winning Time: 1:24.37
- Winning Margin: 0.3L
Race Review: Favourite backers enjoyed an early win on Caulfield Cup Day with shortie A Time For Julia taking out the first, trainer Peter Moody having won the race four times in 10 years. Jockey Luke Nolen also continued his lucky streak in the feature having won the Caulfield Cup Day opener for the last four years in a row now.
Race 2 – 12:10pm $120,000 Listed D’Urban Gothic Stakes (1400m)
- 1st: #9 Al Aneed ($12)
- 2nd: #6 Crystal Web ($16)
- 3rd: #4 Limes ($5)
- Winning Time: 1:23.44
- Winning Margin: 0.75L
Race Review: Mick Price’s up-and-coming colt showed they had a nice future ahead with a soft win after a beautifully timed ride by Glen Boss. Had to get across to the inside and drop off a hectic pace but the winner had fresh legs at the end and is tipped to go up to the mile for the Sandown Guineas next month.
Race 3 – 12:45pm $150,000 Group 3 Starlight Children’s Foundation Norman Robinson Stakes (2000m)
- 1st: #5 Havasstan ($6)
- 2nd: #4 Honoruis ($6.50)
- 3rd: #8 Electric Fusion ($8.50)
- Winning Time: 2:03.82
- Winning Margin: 0.1L
Race Review: Expensive yearling purchase Hvasstan finally started to earn back their $260,000 purchase price for connections with today’s Group 3 victory, the colt doing a massive job to win. Backed up beautifully on a second at Flemington to take this out in a tight finish and now it’s onwards to the Group 1 Victoria Derby (2500m). Protest for the minors which was upheld, Electric Fusion regulated to third despite being second past the post.
Race 4 – 1:20pm $120,000 Listed New Zealand Bloodstock Ethereal Stakes (2000m)
- 1st: #8 Alzora ($20
- 2nd: #12 Summerbliss ($6)
- 3rd: #2 Transonic ($9.50)
- Winning Time: 2:04.98
- Winning Margin: 0.75L
Race Review: David Hayes-trained winner Alzora finally broke her maiden status at start number nine. Looked very green on the straight but held on and go the job done, plenty of upside progressing onto the Group 1 Crown Oaks (2500m) during the Melbourne Cup Carnival. Runner-up Summerbliss racing for just the second time also hit the line nicely with improvement to come.
Race 5 – 2:00pm $150,000 Group 3 Sportingbet Moonga Stakes (1400m)
- 1st: #13 Whateverwhenever ($17)
- 2nd: #5 King’s Rose ($2.15F)
- 3rd: #8 McClintock ($15)
- Winning Time: 1:23.71
- Winning Margin: 0.3L
Race Review: A horse that won this race three years ago, McClintock, led right through until the final few hundred metres but in the end it was late swooper Whateverwhenever who displayed a brilliant burst of acceleration to snare victory. The Brisbane-trained winner beat a smart horse in Group 1 performer King’s Rose who was hot favourite but didn’t corner well and was looking for a mile.
Race 6 – 2:40pm $220,000 Group 2 Perri Cutten Caulfield Sprint (1100m)
- 1st: #7 Howmuchdoyouloveme ($3.50F)
- 2nd: #4 Canali ($10)
- 3rd: #10 Latin News ($26)
- Winning Time: 1:03.16
- Winning Margin: 2L
Race Review: Impressive first-up win by last-start Ramornie Handicap winner, Howmuchdoyouloveme totally controlled this race to lead-all-the-way as they did in Grafton to post another victory, awesome effort from a $5k bargain buy who is now Group 1 bound with the Patianck Farm Classic in their sights.
Race 7 – 3:20pm $150,000 Group 3 David Jones Cup (2000m)
- 1st: #5 Lightinthenite ($2.60F)
- 2nd: #2 Bagman ($7)
- 3rd: #3 Extra Zero ($14)
- Winning Time: 2:04.26
- Winning Margin: 0.2L
Race Review: The favourite certainly didn’t have it easy but they did it in the end, the John O’Shea-trained galloper coming off a good fourth in the Epsom which is proving the form race for this event. Aiming for bigger things next year. Stellar late run from the second place-getter Bagman, but the winner got there and copped with their first look at the 2000m well.
Race 8 – 4:05pm $2,500,000 Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m)
- 1st: #2 Dunaden ($14)
- 2nd: #15 Alcopop ($16)
- 3rd: #12 Lights Of Heaven ($11)
- Winning Time: 2:28.82
- Winning Margin: 0.5L
Race Review: The reigning Melbourne Cup winner showed once again they are a monster stayer, one of the world’s elite, when they retained their undefeated status down under winning the 2012 Caulfield Cup as the first original top-weight to do so in history. Swooped from last to first and gunned down a brave runner-up Alcopop with market mover Lights Of Heaven far from disgraced in third.
Race 9 – 4:50pm $220,000 Group 2 Yellowglen Tristarc Stakes (1400m)
- 1st: #2 Streama ($10)
- 2nd: #3 Pear Tart ($15)
- 3rd: #4 Red Tracer ($5)
- Winning Time: 1:24.76
- Winning Margin: 1.25L
Race Review: An excellent performance from this dual Group 1 winner who looks on track for a shot at the 2012 Myer Classic after her progressive third-up win in Caulfield Cup Day. She led allthe way and seemed to do it with ease showing off when she kicked away sensationally with 100m left to travel to do it easy. Hot favourite Mosheen settled well early but really weakened – question mark over her continuing.
Race 10 – 5:30pm $120,000 Listed Carlton Draught Alinghi Stakes (1100m)
- 1st: #3 Mrs Onassis ($5.50)
- 2nd: #1 Serene Star ($8.50)
- 3rd: #7 Follonica ($26)
- Winning Time: 1:03.88
- Winning Margin: 0.1L
Race Review: The Gerald Ryan-trained multiple stakes winner Mrs Onassis settled nicely into second, coming off two good Group 3 minor placings in September, and got a lovely run throughout and around the turn. She claimed the lead and was able to just hold on by a nose holding off Serene Star who ate up the ground late out wide. But it was the bombproof on-speed runner who got the job done in a photo finish to round up the Caulfield Cup Day racing action.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.