Peter Moody has three stayers engaged for the Caulfield Cup 2012 including promising import Sneak A Peek and while they’re not the favourite Moody-trained hopeful below we take a look at the pros and cons of backing this double figure chance.
Moody has one of the strongest hands he has ever had in the $2.5 million Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m) this year as the premiership winning trainer looks to score his first victory in the famous mile and a half handicap.
The top fancy of Moody’s trio in the Caulfield Cup odds at bookmaker.com.au is betting market mover Lights Of Heaven ($10) followed by Sneak A Peek ($17) and then Underwood Stakes runner-up Voila Ici ($21) looks great value.
While Voila Ici has already made a name for themselves down under Sneak A Peek is yet to finish top three down under.
The Doyen five-year-old has raced three times on Aussie soil since arriving from Italy, their most recent effort being a seventh when defeated four lengths by Cox Plate fancy Green Moon in the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m) at Flemington on October 6.
So will Caulfield Cup Day be their day?
Is there evidence to suggest Sneak A Peek can sneak into a top three finish, or even win the Caulfield Cup?
Or are they one of the horses to rule out when placing your Caulfield Cup bets online at bookmaker.com.au?
#14 Sneak A Peek – Horse Facts
- Jockey: Glen Boss
- Trainer: Peter Moody
- Owners: Mr G L Huddy, Mrs L F Huddy
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Stallion
- Breeding: by Doyen (IRE) out of Shantou (USA) mare Occhi Di Giada
- Career: 14-6-2-1
- Win: 42.86%
- Place: 64.29%
- Prize Money: $295,759
- Track: 1-0-0-0
- Distance: 2-1-0-0
- Current 2012 Caulfield Cup Odds: $17)
Evidence For a Caulfield Cup 2012 Win by Sneak A Peek
- To be ridden by triple Melbourne Cup winning jockey Glen Boss
- Should be on the improve now with three Aussie runs to their name
- Gets up to the 2400m for the first time here which they will appreciate
- In a Group 2 over 2211m in Italy last September they defeated fellow Caulfield Cup hopefuls Jakkalberry ($15) and Voila Ici
- Nicely weighted with 53kg and will come into a good gate (9) which is actually the most successful barrier in Caulfield Cup history (along with 4) producing eight winners
- Comes off a Turnbull 7th, a race last year’s Caulfield Cup winner Southern Speed was unplaced in last year in the lead-up to her Group 1 success
- Decent winning strike rate of 42.86%
Evidence Against Sneak A Peek Winning the 2012 Caulfield Cup
- Peter Moody is yet to win a Caulfield Cup and this probably isn’t his best chance on Saturday
- This horse needs to improve on their recent runs to beat this field
- Are they up to this class? Perhaps not yet
Whether it is a double-figure chance like Sneak A Peek or one of the shorties in the markets you will get the guaranteed best Caulfield Cup odds by betting online with bookmaker.com.au.
Even better, enjoy a $400 bonus bet on the Caulfield Cup by opening a new bookmaker.com.au account, making your first deposit and quoting the code BONUSBET today!