This Saturday in Sydney another mile and a half feature other than Victoria’s Caulfield Cup could hold the key to a Melbourne Cup start for a number of stayers, the 2012 City Tattersalls Club Cup betting tips and preview detailed below.
Due to jump at 3:40pm (AEST) 25 minutes before the 2012 Caulfield Cup takes place, the $100,000 Listed City Tattersalls Club Cup (2400m) is set to steal the focus at Royal Randwick.
The field is down to just the 14 starters with the early scratching of #9 Saint Encosta paving the way from the sole emergency, Hindu’s Girl, to gain a run.
A crucial race for a number of gallopers with pipe dreams for the iconic $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) at Flemington on the first Tuesday of November, the City Tattersalls Club Cup 2012 odds are dominated by the Bart Cummings-trained Dare To Dream.
Well supported in the markets the four-year-old British import is into $2.70 to break their maiden status down under at Australian start number three, Dare To Dream last seen crossing just over half a length away third to genuine Cup horse Mourayan in the Group 3 Craven Plate (2000m).
They are tipped for improvement getting up to the mile and a half on Saturday as they look to book a Melbourne Cup start.
The other top fancies in the City Tattersalls Club Cup betting markets are then the Gai Waterhouse-trained topweight Western Symbol ($4.20) coming off a second in the Craven Plate, and another market mover Less Is More now into $5 who also comes via the Craven Plate having run fourth.
So is the Races.com.au team sticking with the top trio here? Or are we tipping an upset Tattersalls Club Cup result from a double figure outsider such as the Chris Waller-trained Permit ($11) drawn ideally in barrier four, or Peal Of Bells ($11) who is a nice lightweight chance?
#7 Dare To Dream ($2.70)
- Sticking with the favourite here just think they are the one to beat
- Bart Cummings is the master in Cup races this time of year
- Third in the Craven having just their second run down under was an eye-catcher
- Improvement to come will have appreciated two previous runs over the track now
- Go to the 2400m for the first time but bred for it
- Gate 8 gives them options
- Imports are thriving this year and their form is holding up
- 83% Win & Place rate cannot be ignored
- Love getting back from 59kg last time out to just 54kg here
#1 Western Symbol ($4.20)
- Great run last start, 2nd in the Craven Plate, when beating Saturday’s favourite Dare To Dream
- Will get a chance over the 2400m (3-1-0-1)
- Ideal barrier three draw
- Jockey Tommy Berry is confident
- Great record at the track (3-1-1-0)
- Super consistent Win & Place rate of 78%
- Has to carry the 58kg topweight however which rules them out of the win for us
#2 Permit ($11)
- Gets a gate (4)
- Glyn Schofield is on and while they have 57.5kg can still be competitive
- Were a distant 11th in The Metropolitan last time out but will like getting back in class here
- Winner of the Group 2 Chairman’s Quality over 2600m at the track during the autumn
- Also won the Listed NE Manion Cup over 2400m at Rosehill in March
- Mile and a half record is tidy (5-3-0-0)
Roughie We Like
#10 Spechenka ($26)
- Is wide (barrier 15) but has class
- Distance is ideal
- Gets in on the 54kg minimum
- Coming off a good second back home in Queensland
- Group 3 winner over two miles in Brisbane during the winter
- Couldn’t match them in Sydney and Melbourne last spring but this could be their last season
Check out the full range of Randwick racing odds, as well as the Caulfield Cup Day markets in Melbourne, online now at bookmaker.com.au and enjoy a $400 bonus bet on the house when you sign-up, deposit and quote the promo code BONUSBET!