Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The countdown to the 2012 Caulfield Cup (2400m) is nearly over and this year is one of the most open contests in recent years.
A highly competitive field of both locals, imports and international raiders will contest the time-honoured event.
Hall of fame trainer Gai Waterhouse, who won the 2010 Caulfield Cup with Descarado, has favourite Glencadam Gold ($5.50) chasing a fifth straight victory since arriving in Australia.
In an open contest, three other runners fall under double figures with December Draw ($7.50) followed by Melbourne Cup winner Dunaden ($8.50) and the OTI-owned My Quest For Peace ($9.00).
But there are plenty of genuine chances at double figures also including Peter Moody-trained mare Lights Of Heaven ($10.00) and former Melbourne Cup winner Americian ($16.00).
Can’t work out who to back in the Caulfield Cup this year? Keep reading for our detailed selections of who we believe will be filling the placings come race 8 at Caulfield tomorrow.
1st – #10 My Quest For Peace ($9.00)
- Shahwardi showed last week in the Herbet Power Stakes the advantage overseas stayers have over the locals
- Has won five of 10 starts and placed on three other occasions
- Has won his past two starts in the UK including over 2400m at Group 3 level
- Trained by the highly successful Luca Cumani
- Can race with or without cover and Corey Brown should be able to find an ideal position from barrier two
- Gets in well at the weights with 53.5kg, 4.5kg less than Dunaden and Americain
2nd – #3 Jakkalberry ($15.00)
- Has shown he can travel and perform all over the world
- Is a Group 1 winner in Italy
- Finished third in the Dubai Sheema Classic behind Cirrus Des Aigles and St Nicholas Abbey and won American St Leger last start
- Has won first-up on three occasions
- Has multiple Group 1 winning jockey Colm O’Donoghue aboard who knows the horse well after riding in American St Leger
- Reportedly handled the trip to Australia tremendously
3rd – #12 Lights Of Heaven ($10.00)
- Looks the best of the local hopes and has been set for this race by leading trainer Peter Moody
- Drawn well in barrier eight
- At her home track
- Won convincingly in her only attempt at the distance in the Brisbane Cup
- Carries just 53kg
- Consistent mare, having won six times and placed on another five occasions from 17 starts
The best place to back a Caulfield Cup winner this weekend is bookmaker.com.au who have great odds and a wide range of betting options.
Give your Caulfield Cup betting a boost by signing up today quoting the code BONUSBET and take advantage of their $400 bonus bet offer!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.