A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
This Saturday the 2012 Caulfield Cup will take centre stage in Melbourne as the spring gets into full swing and the horse the punters are coming for in the Caulfield Cup odds this year is the Peter Moody-trained Lights Of Heaven.
Since the capacity final field for the $2.5 million Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m) was released earlier in the week the five-year-old Zabeel mare, winner of the Eagle Farm Cup – Brisbane Cup double during the winter, has been backed right in from $17 to $10.
There is lots in Lights Of Heaven’s favour as she is primed to get the run of the race from her ideal barrier eight draw, coming into seven with emergencies out.
It will be better for her historical-wise however if the money stops now and she jumps at $10 or more in the Caulfield Cup betting markets as five of the past six Caulfield Cup winners have won at double-figures.
For more on whether Lights Of Heaven Can Win the 2012 Caulfield Cup follow the link.
Other notable Caulfield Cup market firmers include:
- #10 My Quest For Peace ($14 into $9) – Drawn on the inside with barrier two so, if they don’t get caught up early, should be ready to strike, Luca Cumani-trained raider has awesome form over this distance back in Britain and genuine claims to win this with just 53.5kg on their back
- #11 Niwot ($34 into $26) – Sydney Cup winner is a genuine two mile horse but money is coming for the Hawkes-trained champ to finish up there over the 2400m this time, one of the few Aussie-bred hopefuls in the mix, needs to improve on their Turnbull eighth but the extra 400m will allow them to do that as will the barrier (6) and the weight (53.5kg)
- #15 Alcopop ($26 into $16) – Sentimental love for Jake Stephens’ veteran galloper after their storming second to Ocean Park in the Caulfield Stakes last Saturday, trainer says they are career best despite their age (8) and are crying out for the 2400m
Caulfield Cup odds meanwhile are still led by Gai Waterhouse’s in-form import Glencadam Gold who, since drawing the second widest barrier, eased out from $4 to $5 and can now be had at $5.50 to score their fifth straight win in Australia.
The classy galloper is set to carry 53.5kg which is a good weight for them and they will try to get across early from their horror gate and lead all the way like they did over the mile and a half last start when they ran off to win the Group 1 The Metropolitan Handicap in Sydney by four lengths.
Along with the favourite other Caulfield Cup market drifters include:
- #2 Dunaden ($7 out to $8.50) – Reining Melbourne Cup winner has drawn the extreme outside barrier, need to be at their best to overcome that gate and have the speed to beat this field over the 2400m, also carries equal 58kg topweight which in itself is a tough ask
- #7 Southern Speed ($17 out to $26) – One of the biggest easers in the market the reigning Caulfield Cup winner has drawn awkwardly with 14, she won from three last year, carries 2.5kg more than 12 months ago too and last year’s winning hoop Craig Williams jumped off her in favour of Dunaden, out to improve on a second last placing in the Turnbull Stakes last start from the same barrier (14)
See below for the full Caulfield Cup market moves and current fixed win odds, prices courtesy of bookmaker.com.au.
Get behind your Caulfield Cup favourites online at bookmaker.com.au who even offer exclusive Pick markets combining Fixed Win & Margin betting in an Aussie first!
2012 Caulfield Cup Betting Market Moves
Caulfield Race 8 – 4:05pm (AEST) – 20/10/2012
#1 Americain (19) – Steady at $16
#2 Dunaden (22) – $7 out to $8.50
#3 Jakkalberry (13) – $14 out to $15
#4 Winchester (16) – $34 out to $41
#5 December Draw (12) – Steady at $7.50
#6 Voila Ici (17) – Steady at $21
#7 Southern Speed (14) – $17 out to $26
#8 Sanagas (3) – $51 out to $61
#9 Glencadam Gold (21) – $4 out to $5.50
#10 My Quest For Peace (2) – $14 into $9
#11 Niwot (6) – $34 into $26
#12 Lights Of Heaven (8) – $17 into $10
#13 Secret Admirer (11) – $21 out to $26
#14 Sneak A Peek (10) – $16 out to $17
#15 Alcopop (9) – $26 into $16
#16 Moudre (5) – $67 into $51
#17 Folding Gear (4) – $19 out to $21
#18 Zabeelionaire (1) – $34 into $31
#19e Sabrage (20) – Steady at $101
#20e Gatewood (18) – $11 into $9
#21e Ibicenco (15) – Scratched
#22e Fictional Account (7) – Steady at $201
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.