The training team of John Hawkes and sons Michael and Wayne is on a high after the win of All Too Hard in last Saturday’s Caulfield Guineas and they could have even more to cheer about if Niwot can produce a 2012 Caulfield Cup upset.
He may be an eight-year-old but Niwot will be having just his second ever Caulfield Cup start this Saturday after finishing 12th in his first attempt last year.
He is one of the few Australian-bred, Australian-trained runners in Cups contention this year and will be looking to score a second Group 1 win after taking out the Sydney Cup in the autumn.
Keep reading for reasons to back or sack Niwot this weekend as well as some key stats about his career to date.
#11 Niwot – Horse Facts
- Jockey: Dwayne Dunn
- Trainer: John, Michael and Wayne Hawkes
- Owner: R & C Legh Racing Synd (MGR: R & MRS C LEGH), S W Kay, Gurners Bloodstock Synd (MGR: A RAMSDEN), M J & Mrs M A Calman & N J & Mrs J S Griffin
- Age: 8YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Galileo out of Too Darn Hot
- Career: 31 – 9:4:1
- Win: 29%
- Place: 16%
- Prize Money: $1,192,825
- Track: 7-0-0-0
- Distance: 3-1-0-0
- Current 2012 Caulfield Cup Odds: $26.00
Why Niwot Can Win the 2012 Caulfield Cup
- Is a proven stayer who will have no problem running the trip
- Is a Group 1 winner having won the Sydney Cup in April
- Well weighted with just 53.5kg
- Drawn well in barrier 6
Why Niwot Can’t Win the 2012 Caulfield Cup
- Has not finished better than eighth in three starts this preparation
- Yet to win in seven visits to Caulfield
- Struggled against easier opposition in this race last year
- Has not won over 2400m since 2009
Think Niwot can add another big race to the team Hawkes trophy cabinet this weekend? Bet with great odds at bookmaker.com.au.
The Australian-owned bookie is the best place to back a Caulfield Cup winner due to their sensational odds and $400 bonus bet offer for new customers.