There has been plenty of talk about the international raiders heading into the 2012 Caulfield Cup (2400m) but there are still some strong local chances and one of those is Folding Gear.
Trained at Seymour by Lee and Shannon Hope, the consistent five-year-old earned himself a Caulfield Cup ticket last month when winning the Group 3 Naturalism Stakes (2000m).
He’s got one of the lower profiles in the field but the Caulfield Cup is often one by an outsider and he must be considered.
For the stats that matter about Folding Gear as well as the pros and cons about him in his first Group 1 test, keep reading for the Races.com.au detailed analysis.
#17 Folding Gear – Horse Facts
- Jockey: Ben Melham
- Trainer: Lee and Shannon Hope
- Owner: K J Beck
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Johar out of Royal Show
- Career: 14 – 4:1:3
- Win: 29%
- Place: 29%
- Prize Money: $353,353
- Track: 5-2-0-1
- Distance: 0-0-0-0
- Current 2012 Caulfield Cup Odds: $21.00
Why Folding Gear Can Win the 2012 Caulfield Cup
- Heads into the race on the back of a strong win in the Naturalism Stakes
- Has excellent form at the track, having won twice and place once from five starts
- Gets in at a lightweight of 52kg
- Drawn well in barrier four
- Has Ben Melham on board who knows the horse well having ridden in his last seven starts
Why Folding Gear Won’t be the Caulfield Cup 2012 Winner
- Faces a huge rise in class
- Comes up against seasoned, classy Group 1 stayers
- Yet to race over 2400m
Think Folding Gear will win the Caulfield Cup? Or will it be an import? An overseas raider? Whoever you fancy, get great odds at bookmaker.com.au.
Innovators of Quickbet technology – the fastest way to bet – bookmaker.com.au is fully Australian owned and offers a $400 bonus bet to new customers!