Southern Speed will be out to record her second Group 1 victory when she defends her title in the 2012 Caulfield Cup (2400m) this Saturday.
The five-year-old mare will be having her sixth start of the spring and trainer Leon Macdonald has confirmed that she is in good health despite finishing 15th in the Turnbull Stakes two weeks ago.
Prior to the out-of-character performance in the Turnbull Stakes, Southern Speed had shown promising form winning the Group 2 Makybe Diva Stakes and finishing fourth in the Underwood Stakes.
For the stats that matter as well as the pros and cons about Southern Speed in her Caulfield Cup defence keep reading below.
#7 Southern Speed – Horse Facts
- Jockey: Nash Rawiller
- Trainer: Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas
- Owners: B H Perks, Ms A M Clough, T J Robertson, Mrs E A Robertson, R B Fairclough & Mrs B D Fairclough
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Southern Image out of Golden Eagle
- Career: 24 – 7:4:2
- Last 6: X31140
- Current 2012 Caulfield Cup Odds: $19.00
Why Southern Speed Can Become the 2012 Caulfield Cup winner
- Has been there done that, won the race last year
- Is a genuine Group 1 performer, having backed up her Caulfield Cup win with Group 1 placings in the spring
- Proven performer at Caulfield
Why Southern Speed Can’t Become the 2012 Caulfield Cup winner
- Coming off a poor 15th in the Turnbull Stakes
- Has been up for a long time, could have already peaked
- Carries 54.5kg, 2kg more than she carried to victory last year
- Only two horses have ever gone back-to-back, with the last being Rising Fast in 1954-55
Think Southern Speed can defy history and claim a second straight Caulfield Cup? Ensure you are getting top odds with your Caulfield Cup betting by joining bookmaker.com.au!
Give your spring betting a boost at the Australian-owned bookie by signing up today and taking advantage of their $400 bonus bet offer!