On Saturday Glencadam Gold will be out to break five year hoodoo for favourites in the Caulfield Cup, so can the Gai Waterhouse-trained import get the job done for the punters?
Refuse To Bend four-year-old Glencadam Gold has eased out to $5 after drawing the second widest gate, barrier 21 of 22, for the $2.5 million Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m) this Saturday but is still top of the Caulfield Cup odds at bookmaker.com.au.
Jockey Jim Cassidy however remains confident that even from the gate Glencadam Gold has the class to win and that he will quickly make his way to the rails after the Caulfield Cup field jumps at 4:05pm (AEST) on Saturday.
“He’s an on-speed horse and one good thing about him is he’s not going to be in the boxes that long,” Cassidy said.
“Hopefully we can get a good start and roll forward and either find the fence or be first couple somewhere.
“I’ll be going out with plan A, B and C and we’ll see what happens once we get out of the straight.”
Favourites however have a poor recent record in the Caulfield Cup and Glencadam Gold, last seen running away to win the Group 1 The Metropolitan (2400m) in Sydney by four lengths, is out to become the first punters’ pick since Master O’Reilly in 2007 to win.
So can Glencadam Gold buck the trend and retain their undefeated status in Australia with their fifth straight turf triumph?
Or will one of their longer-priced rivals score an upset Caulfield Cup results come Caulfield Cup Day?
Below we take a look at the facts and stats both for and against Glencadam Gold to win the Caulfield Cup 2012 so you know whether you should take him or take him on in the Caulfield Cup betting markets at bookmaker.com.au!
#9 Glencadam Gold – Horse Facts
- Jockey: Jim Cassidy
- Trainer: Gai Waterhouse
- Owners: Mr K R Wood, Team Mcdonnell, Mr R Smith, Paul Mcclure, Mr B Pang, Bongiorno Herron, Mr G J Diamond, Fesen Pty Ltd, Mr B A Stracey, U K Stayers
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Refuse To Bend (IRE) out of Darshaan (GB) mare Sandrella (IRE)
- Career: 12-6-2-1
- Win: 50.00%
- Place: 75.00%
- Last 6: 0x1111
- Prize Money: $474,028
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 3-2-0-0
- Current 2012 Caulfield Cup Odds: $5
Why Glencadam Gold Can Win the 2012 Caulfield Cup
- Undefeated since coming to Australia with four straight wins
- Dual Group winner down under already
- Their latest victory was an impressive four length effort in the Group 1 The Metropolitan over the Caulfield Cup distance (2400m) in Sydney
- Two horses have won the Metropolitan – Caulfield Cup double in recent years with Railings (2005) and Tawqeet (2006), four having done so in total over the years
- Jim Cassidy has been called up for the ride, the jockey a Hall of Famer and big-race specialist who won the Caulfield Cup and Melbourne Cup in 1997 with Might And Power
- Waterhouse knows how to win the race having prepared 2010 Caulfield Cup winner Descarado
- Has one of the most consistent records over the 2400m with two wins from three starts
- Gets in well with the weights on 53.5kg, the perfect weight with 17 Caulfield Cup winners in the past 20 years have carried 54.5kg or less to victory
- Shares the highest Win Rate of the field (50%) with a $61 roughie Sanagas
Why Glencadam Gold Can’t Be the Caulfield Cup Winner 2012
- Has drawn off the paddock in barrier 21 of 22, will come into 17 of 18 with emergencies out
- This isn’t a race for favourites with the last to win being Master O’Reilly (2007)
- Yet to race in Melbourne or at Caulfield Racecourse
- Caulfield has been a graveyard for Waterhouse-trained favourites this spring including Proisir (Spring Champion Stakes) and Pierro (Caulfield Guineas)
- No horse has ever won the Caulfield Cup having received two weight penalties, in fact the only one to try was Vita Man who finished second last behind Sky Heights in 1999
- Two back they won the Newcastle Gold Cup and no horse in history has won the Caulfield Cup after winning both the Newcastle Cup and the Metropolitan Handicap
- The only horse to have won the Newcastle – Caulfield Cup double was Gurner’s Lane (1982)
- Has a hot 75% place rate, better place bet?
Whether you are backing or sacking the Caulfield Cup betting favourite this year you know you’ll be getting the best bang for your buck by betting online with Australia’s leading bookie bookmaker.com.au.
Right now at bookmaker.com.au new depositing players are being instantly rewarded with a bonus welcome bet valued up to an incredible $400 simply by opening using the promo code BONUSBET!