Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
While the big 2400-metre race of the weekend is Melbourne’s Caulfield Cup, over in Sydney another mile and a half showdown full of spring cup horses will also be running at Royal Randwick with the City Tattesalls Club Cup 2012.
Due to jump as Randwick Race 6 at 3:40pm (AEST) the $100,000 Listed City Tattersalls Club Cup (2400m) has this year drawn a full field of 14 starters plus an emergency runner waiting on the back-list in case of a scratchings.
Short-priced favourite is the Bart Cummings-trained Dare To Dream who is rated a $3.10 chance in the Tattersalls Club Cup odds at bookmaker.com.au.
Drawn ideally mid field in gate eight with Darren Gauci to ride, the imported Danehill Dancer four-year-old is well weighted on the 54kg minimum which is a nice drop back from the 59kg they carried last time out when a close third behind Mourayan in the Group 3 Craven Plate (2000m) at the track on October 6.
That was just their second run in Australia after a first-up sixth behind Steps In Time in the Group 3 Bill Ritchie Handicap (1400m) and the lightly-raced four-year-old is tipped to improve again as they see the 2400m for the first time.
Dare To Dream, along with a number of the other top fancies in the Tattersalls Cup on Saturday, are looking to work their way into contention for the spring’s biggest feature – the $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) running at Flemington on Tuesday November 6.
In the latest Melbourne Cup odds at bookmaker.com.au Dare To Dream is a $61 roughie, the horse yet to pass the first ballot clause for the ‘race that stops a nation’ sitting 64th (of 67) in the Melbourne Cup order of entry.
Following Dare To Dream in the City Tattersalls Club Cup betting markets are then:
- #1 Western Symbol ($4) – Gai Waterhouse-trained six-year-old ran a slashing second in the Craven Plate last time out, awesome record at the track and 2400m will suit, $101 Melbourne Cup betting roughie (55th on the order of entry) and while jockey Tommy Berry is confident they do have to carry the 58kg topweight
- #12 Less Is More ($6.50) – David Vandkye-trained four-year-old ran fourth in the Craven Plate last time out in their second run since arriving from overseas, the former French-trained galloper also dropping back from 59kg to 54kg here with improvement expected
Other longer-priced fancies in with a genuine chance then include:
- #2 Permit ($10) – Another imported stayer, this one from the Chris Waller stables with over a year’s experience racing down under already behind them, their record over 2400m in Sydney top class until their disappointing 11th (of 12) behind Saturday’s Caulfield Cup favourite Glencadam Gold in the Group 1 The Metropolitan last time out which they are looking to bounce back from
- #11 Peal Of Bells ($11) – Gwenda Markwell-trained gelding ran a good second to Glencadam Gold in the Newcastle Gold Cup before being outclassed from the widest gate in The Metropolitan, drop back slightly in class here but are wide (12) again
- #5 Crafty Irna ($13) – Starcraft mare was racing well before their The Metrop eighth, can improve and should improve here
Check out the full markets for the weekend’s racing as well as the futures odds for the 2012 Melbourne Cup online now at bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $400 bonus welcome bet offer!
2012 City Tattersalls Club Cup Field, Barriers & Odds
Royal Randwick Race 6 – 3:40pm (AEST) – 20/10/2012
|#||Form (Last 10)||Horse||Trainer||Jockey||Br.||Wgt.||Hcp. Rating||Odds*|
|1||0x11124x02||WESTERN SYMBOL (NZ)||Gai Waterhouse||Tommy Berry||3||58kg||103||4.00|
|2||3311Px8260||PERMIT (GB)||Chris Waller||Glyn Schofield||4||57.5kg||102||10.00|
|3||x452520x97||HERCULIAN PRINCE (NZ)||Gai Waterhouse||Ms Kathy O’Hara||6||57kg||101||21.00|
|4||0720×04609||THE VERMINATOR||Chris Waller||Joshua Parr||13||56kg||99||21.00|
|5||42543×2128||CRAFTY IRNA||Ron Quinton||Sam Clipperton (a)||11||54.5kg||100||13.00|
|6||00438×9097||FIUMICINO (NZ)||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||Jay Ford||2||54kg||92||101.00|
|7||3x111x63||DARE TO DREAM (IRE)||Bart Cummings||Darren Gauci||8||54kg||90||3.10|
|8||x2510x4644||PRAECIDO (NZ)||David Payne||Robert Thompson||5||54kg||89||31.00|
|9||6×30021444||SAINT ENCOSTA||John P Thompson||Anthony Allen (a)||14||54kg||87||15.00|
|10||0208418752||SPECHENKA||Ben Ahrens||Ryan Wiggins||15||54kg||87||26.00|
|11||1116×29526||PEAL OF BELLS||Gwenda Markwell||Ric McMahon||12||54kg||86||11.00|
|12||159x041x34||LESS IS MORE (FR)||David Vandyke||Peter Robl||7||54kg||84||6.50|
|13||x6424x8726||BRAYROAN (NZ)||Anne-Marie Ruttley||Nathan Berry||9||54kg||81||61.00|
|14||79×6763262||PLANET PURPLE||Kerry Parker||Jeff Penza||1||54kg||64||101.00|
|15e||0879686052||HINDU’S GIRL||Keith Horobin||Ms Robyn Freeman-Key||10||54kg||49||151.00|
*Fixed Win odds provided by bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.