The Chris Waller domination of the 2018...
Gai Waterhouse’s exciting import Glencadam Gold continues to dominate Caulfield Cup betting after the official 2012 Caulfield Cup final field was released by Racing Victoria today.
Preparing to make their Melbourne debut in the $2.65 million Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m) on Saturday the Refuse To Bend four-year-old is undefeated down under having won all four of their starts in Australia since arriving from overseas mid-way through the year.
While a number of Waterhouse favourites have failed to produce the goods in recent weeks including the shock loss of the previously unbeaten Pierro in the Caulfield Guineas last Saturday, Glencadam Gold is being backed by the punters in the Caulfield Cup odds at bookmaker.com.au to buck the trend.
Last seen running away to win the Group 1 The Metropolitan (2400m) at Randwick by four lengths on October 6 Glencadam Gold is the firm $4 Caulfield Cup favourite, still a nice lightweight chance on 53.5kg despite having accrued 3.5kg in weight penalties leading into the race.
Just three other horses in the capacity 18-starter, 4-emergency Caulfield Cup field are at single-figure odds with:
- #2 Dunaden ($7) – Last year’s Melbourne Cup winner is the pick of the Caulfield Cup field according to jockey Craig Williams who won the race 12 months ago aboard Southern Speed, will be first-up off a three month break and while there’s been a few hiccups along the way including a foot abscess, the bookies rate them to overcome the 58kg equal topweight here
- #5 December Draw ($7.50) – Fractured a leg in the Caulfield Cup last year when finishing dead last as the beaten favourite, out to atone this year and looks to have successfully comeback to the kind of form that can see that happen thanks to two recent Group 1 thirds firstly in the Underwood and then in the Turnbull, get in well with 55kg too
- #20e Gatewood ($9) – John Gosden’s English galloper needs two horses to scratch out to gain a run but the bookies are taking zero chances with this Galileo stallion, they debuted down under last Saturday when seventh in the Herbert Power and will have benefited from the run over the track and distance ahead of this, Geelong Cup will be the new target if they don’t run on Saturday
At slightly longer Caulfield Cup odds but still in the mix are then the likes of:
- #14 My Quest For Peace ($14) – Luca Cumani-trained galloper won their last two back at The Goodwood during August over 2414m and 2816m, goes well fresh, distance is ideal and the form of the Europeans is stacking up this season, also prepared by the right trainer for the spring cups
- #3 Jakkalberry ($14) – British-trained former galloper owned by Aussie connections is a multiple elite level performer across the globe and come off a big two and a half length win in the American St Leger (2714m) in the USA back in August
- #1 Americain ($16) – 2010 Melbourne Cup winner races in Australia for the first time since the autumn, last seen running a below par sixth in the Group 2 Prix Kergorlay (3000m), first-up over 2400m however will suit and they are reportedly thriving in their ‘second home’ at Werribee
- #14 Sneak A Peek ($16) – Peter Moody-trained import has had three runs down under their best being a seventh in the Turnbull last start, set to improve getting up to the mile and a half and have beaten some classy rivals back in Italy including Jakkalberry
- #7 Southern Speed ($17) – Defending Caulfield Cup winner looks set to bounce back on her last start failure in the Turnbull with a nice strong gallop on the course proper on Monday morning, is a possible scratch out however if the barrier is too wide
- #12 Lights Of Heaven ($17) – Group 1 winning mare one of three chances for Moody to win his first Caulfield Cup, won the Eagle Farm Cup – Brisbane Cup double during the winter, distance is right and she looked good last time out finishing less than a length away third in the Hill Stakes
The 2012 Caulfield Cup barrier draw will be taken tomorrow at 11am (AEST) and is sure to impact the current Caulfield Cup prices.
2012 Caulfield Cup Odds
Caulfield Race 8 – 4:05pm (AEST) – 20/10/2012
|10||MY QUEST FOR PEACE||14.00|
|12||LIGHTS OF HEAVEN||17.00|
|14||SNEAK A PEEK||16.00|
*Fixed Win odds provided by bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.