Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The Melbourne Racing Club (MRC) faces a tough task in deciding which two horses will complete the capacity 18-starter Caulfield Cup 2012 field for Saturday after a total of 23 gallopers were paid up for when final acceptances closed this morning.
There were no surprises at the top of the ballot for the $2.65 million Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m) this year with the top two spots belonging to equal 58kg topweights, the past two Melbourne Cup winners Dunaden (2011) and Americain (2010) who both race in their first Caulfield Cup this weekend.
There are however three horses battling for the final two starting positions in the capacity 18-runner Caulfield Cup field with:
- Alcopop (Jake Stephens) – Eight-year-old Jeune gelding entered Caulfield Cup calculations again this year when running an eye-catching last-to-second behind Cox Plate-bound Ocean Park in the Group 1 Caulfield Stakes (2000m) last Saturday, Stephens said they are flying for their age and keen as ever to race
- Modure (Ciaron Maher) – Enjoyed a good spring two years back when second to subsequent Melbourne Cup winner Americain in the Geelong Cup, missed the spring last year however when spending one and a half years on the sidelines with injury, has had two runs back this time in first-up a slashing third to reigning Caulfield Cup winner Southern Speed in the Makybe Diva Stakes, but something went a miss when they finished dead last in the Turnbull Stakes last start
- Sabrage (Michael Moroney) – Four-year-old Charge Forward stallion is a genuine stayer having run third in the 2011 Victoria Derby and second in this year’s SA Derby at elite level, have been hit and miss in between and since those runs however, but went okay in the Caulfield Stakes when fifth last Saturday carrying 58kg
Two of these horses will make the Caulfield Cup field for 2012 while the third will be bumped into the emergencies.
The Caulfield Cup has a capacity four final emergencies with the others to come from:
- Gatewood (John Gosden) – Geelong Cup an option for them to make Melbourne Cup field if they miss this after they failed their Australian debut last Saturday when seventh in the Herbert Power Stakes
- Ibicenco (Luca Cumani) – Yet to race down under but Cumani will still have a runner if this one doesn’t make it with My Quest For Peace assured of a start
- Fictional Account (David Hayes) – Disappointing when 10th in The Metropolitan which was just their third run in Australia for Hayes, better when second in the JRA Stakes so has the distance in their legs just needs the class
- Maluckyday (Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes) – Runner-up in 2010 Melbourne Cup, looked to have improved nicely third-up on October 6 when second to Tanby in The Bart Cummings
The Notable Non-Acceptors for the 2012 Caulfield Cup Then Were:
- Shahwardi (Alain de Royer Dupre) – Was second on the Caulfield Cup ballot, this smart French galloper won the Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes in Australian debut at Caulfield last Saturday earning a Caulfield Cup ballot exemption but is being saved for the Melbourne Cup for which they have received a 1.5kg penalty
- Midas Touch (Robert Hickmott)
- Seville (Robert Hickmott)
- Tac de Boistron (Michael Kent)
- Brigantin (Andre Fabre)
- Prairie Star (Danny O’Brien)
- Ironstein (Gerald Ryan)
- Tanby (Robert Hickmott)
- Dance With Her (David Brideoake & David Feek)
- Bianmick (Michael Brady)
- Excluded (Robert Hikmcott0
- Mr O’Ceirin (Ciaron Maher)
- Red Eye Special (Michael Moroney)
Notable Acceptors That Will Be In The 2012 Caulfield Cup:
- Glencadam Gold (Gai Waterhouse) – Favourite in the Caulfield Cup odds having won all four of their starts down under since arriving from overseas including a blistering win in the Group 1 The Metropolitan (2400m) last start
- December Draw (Mark Kavanagh) – Has been in great form in their past two runs when third in both the Underwood and Turnbull with improvement hopefully to come as they look to atone after injury saw them break down and finish last as the beaten favourite in last year’s Caulfield Cup
- Southern Speed (Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas) – Reining Caulfield Cup winner out to improve on her disastrous effort in the Turnbull Stakes, a wide barrier for the Cup could see her skip this title defense in favour of Saturday week’s Cox Plate
Meanwhile Peter Moody will have three horses in the 2012 Caulfield Cup field the favourite of which is Lights Of Heaven.
His other hopefuls are then smart imports Sneak A Peek and Voila Ici.
International Caulfield Cup 2012 Acceptors:
- Duanden (Miekl Delzangles)
- Jakkalberry (Marco Botti)
- My Quest For Peace (Luca Cumani)
- Ibicenco (Luca Cumani)
The official Caulfield Cup 2012 field will be announced at 3pm (AEST) this afternoon from Caulfield Racecourse include.
The 2012 Caulfield Cup barrier draw is then due to take place at 11am (AEST) tomorrow with Races.com.au to publish the gates as soon as announced.
In the meantime why not get ready to access the hottest Caulfield Cup final field betting markets online at bookmaker.com.au – the online bookie rewarding its customers better starting with a $400 bonus sign-up bet when you make your first deposit and quote the code BONUSBET!
2012 Caulfield Cup Final Acceptances
|Ballot & Horse||Trainer||Weight (Penalty)|
|1 Southern Speed||(Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas)||54.5|
|3 Folding Gear (NZ)||(Lee & Shannon Hope)||52.0(1.0)|
|4= Americain (USA)||(Alain de Royer Dupre)||58.0|
|4= Dunaden (FR)||(Mikel Delzangles)||58.0|
|6= Jakkalberry (IRE)||(Marco Botti)||55.5|
|6= Winchester (USA)||(John Sadler)||55.5|
|*8= December Draw (IRE)||(Mark Kavanagh)||55.0|
|*8= Voila Ici (IRE)||(Peter G Moody)||55.0|
|*10= Lights of Heaven (NZ)||(Peter G Moody)||53.0|
|10= Secret Admirer||(Grahame Begg)||53.0|
|*12= Sanagas (GER)||(Bart Cummings)||54.0|
|14= My Quest For Peace (IRE)||(Luca Cumani)||53.5|
|14= Niwot||(Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes)||53.5|
|14= Zabeelionaire (NZ)||(Leon Corstens)||52.0|
|*14= Glencadam Gold (IRE)||(Gai Waterhouse)||53.5(3.5)|
|*20= Sneak a Peek (ITY)||(Peter G Moody)||53.0|
|23= Alcopop||(Jake Stephens)||52.5|
|*23= Moudre||(Ciaron Maher)||52.5|
|*23= Sabrage||(Michael Moroney)||51.0|
|29= Gatewood (GB)||(John Gosden)||51.5|
|29= Ibicenco (GER)||(Luca Cumani)||51.5|
|*32= Fictional Account (IRE)||(David Hayes)||50.0|
|36 Maluckyday (NZ)||(Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes)||53.5|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.