Victoria’s Caulfield Racecourse was home to one of the first major Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival meetings today, Saturday October 13, with 2012 Caulfield Guineas Day lighting up the track, the full Caulfield race results including the winning Guineas Day trifectas, winning margins, times and a brief review of each of the nine events detailed below.
The most notable Caulfield Guineas Day Winners were:
- Snitzerland (Blue Sapphire) – Looking at her odds-on price the result here was non surprising but watching the thrilling tight replay where Snitzerland looked gone it is hard to see how she got the job done. But dig deep she did and is now four from four this time in heading towards the Coolmore Stud Stakes on Derby Day.
- Buffering (Schillaci Stakes) – Finally it is Buffering’s time to shine without the freakish sprinters Hay List and Black Caviar in the mix. He silenced critics that said he couldn’t go from 1200m to 1000m with an easy win by nearly two lengths and is flying towards finally breaking his Group 1 duck in the Manikato Stakes.
- Ocean Park (Caulfield Stakes) – Glen Boss said they are the right horse for the Cox Plate and while their narrow win here, their third Group 1 on the trot, might not see them firm in the Cox Plate odds they are certainly kicking over well for the WFA showdown.
- Solzhenitsyn (Toorak Handicap) – In a race where the two defending champs (More Joyous & King Mufhasa) failed to hang on with their big weights, 52kg lightweight Solzhenitsyn striked late to score another Guineas Day win for Heathcote who is now a dual Group 1 winning trainer.
- All Too Hard (Caulfield Guineas) – Got the better of boom favourite Pierro in the big one here. Former spruik colt finally proved their class after a big question mark over their true ability following four straight losses before the Group 1 win in the Guineas.
- Shahwardi (Herbert Power Stakes) – Onwards and upwards to the Melbourne Cup for this French champ who enjoyed an easy win in their Australian debut, following in the footsteps of stablemate Amercain who won the Melbourne Cup two years back, but are they the same class?
If you enjoyed a punt with bookmaker.com.au this Caulfield Guineas Day you would have enjoyed access to the country’s premier racing markets including their world first ‘Pick Your Own Odds’ options!
The next major race meetings Caulfield Cup Day on the 20th so don’t bet anywhere else next weekend, enjoy what the bookmaker.com.au punters get starting with a $400 bonus welcome bet when you sign-up, deposit and quote the promo code BONUSBET!
Race 1 – 12:30pm – $120,000 Listed BMW Weekend Hussler Stakes (1400m)
- 1st: #11 Instinction ($9.50)
- 2nd: #7 Dusty Star ($13)
- 3rd: #5 Veewap ($7.50)
- Winning Time: 1:23.00
- Winning Margin: 1.5L
Race Review: Trainer Mick Price enjoyed a home track win in the first with the beautiful looking grey Instinction firing up to win a stakes race after spearing across the track. The two favourites in Smokin’ Joey and Speediness were out of it from the start getting away slowly. The winner was well backed however so the punters did get some relief if they were on the market mover.
Race 2 – 1:05pm – $250,000 Catanach’s Jewellers Blue Sapphire (1200m)
- 1st: #10 Snitzerland ($1.95F)
- 2nd: #3 Fire Thunderbolt ($18)
- 3rd: #5 Lankan Rupee ($5)
- Winning Time: 1:10.09
- Winning Margin: 0.2L
Race Review: It was a tight finish for the odds-on favourite Snitzerland but she did what good horses do, dug deep when she looked out of it in the speedy finish and earned her fourth straight win as a three-year-old. Great run from the progressive runner-up Fire Thunderbolt from Adelaide while fourth placed Sizzling will be hard to beat next time out especially when they get up to a mile.
Race 3 – 1:40pm – $150,000 Group 3 Thoroughbred Club Stakes (1200m)
- 1st: #3 Cavalry Rose ($8)
- 2nd: #11 Mareeza ($16)
- 3rd: #8 Saturn Rock ($3.80EF)
- Winning Time: 1:10.03
- Winning Margin: 0.2L
Race Review: Cavalry Rose is starting to return to the early good form she showed as two-year-old last season handing Gerald Ryan here with his second Caulfield Guineas Day win on the trot. She lead all the way and they couldn’t run her down on the straight, more black type possible if she sticks around this class and distance.
Race 4 – 2:15pm – $220,000 Group 2 Schweppes Schillaci Stakes (1000m)
- 1st: #1 Buffering ($2.60F)
- 2nd: #5 Golden Archer ($6)
- 3rd: #6 Stirling Grove ($26)
- Winning Time: 0:56.95
- Winning Margin: 1.75L
Race Review: Buffering relished stepping out of the shadow of Black Caviar and Hay List to win the Schillaci in sensational style, Rob Heathcote’s Brisbane visitor kicking along beautifully towards their well-deserved Group 1 win in the Manikato Stakes.
Race 5 – 2:50pm – $400,000 Group 1 Cathay Pacific Caulfield Stakes (2000m)
- 1st: #6 Ocean Park ($1.50F)
- 2nd: #4 Alcopop ($20)
- 3rd: #2 Sincero ($5)
- Winning Time: 2:04.70
- Winning Margin: 0.75L
Race Review: Ocean Park didn’t blitz his rivals here but he did win well and is progressing very nicely towards the Cox Plate in two weeks’ time. They now have three Group 1 wins to their name and Glen Boss said he wouldn’t swap Cox Plate rides. Sincero was disappointing when run down by an evergreen Alcopop who could have earned a Caulfield Cup run next Saturday.
Race 6 – 3:30pm – $400,000 Group 1 David Jones Rose Clinic Toorak Handicap (1600m)
- 1st: #7 Solzhenitsyn ($5)
- 2nd: #8 Spirit Song ($21)
- 3rd: #4 Yosei ($14)
- Winning Time: 1:35.25
- Winning Margin: 0.4L
Race Review: Race favourite More Joyous couldn’t handle her 60kg topweight but Heathcote’s progressive six-year-old Solzhenitsyn certainly loved the 52kg flashing home late to score a well-earned win. Great runs by both the minor place-getters here too.
Race 7 – 4:10pm – $1,000,000 Group 1 BECK Caulfield Guineas (1600m)
- 1st: #3 All Too Hard ($12)
- 2nd: #1 Pierro ($1.22F)
- 3rd: #2 Epaulette ($12)
- Winning Time: 1:36.05
- Winning Margin: 0.5L
Race Review: In the shock result of the spring Pierro suffered his first defeat when poor luck early and a great colt in All Too Hard got the better of them in the big one. Both are now a question mark for the Cox Plate for different reasons. Will Waterhouse give Pierro another chance? Can All Too Hard do it again?
Race 8 – 4:50pm – $22,000 Group 2 Sportingbet Herbert Power Stakes (2400m)
- 1st: #4 Shahwardi ($15)
- 2nd: #9 Excluded ($7)
- 3rd: #8 Exceptionally ($7.50)
- Winning Time: 2:28.82
- Winning Margin: 1L
Race Review: Shahwardi blitzed their Australian debut coming from last to first in an easy win here. Was impressive over the mile and a half having last run over 3000m in France and had plenty left in the tank after. Genuine stayer, look out Melbourne Cup fancies.
Race 9 – 5:30pm – $120,000 Listed Sportingbet Sprint Series Final (1200m)
- 1st: #14 Serene Star ($8)
- 2nd: #12 Koonoomoo ($31)
- 3rd: #4 Miss Marx ($3.90F)
- Winning Time: 1:09.70
- Winning Margin: 0.5L
Race Review: Serene Star made up for her unlucky run at Moonee Valley last time out which ended a smashing three run winning streak to score her first ever stakes win. In a beautifully timed ride by Craig Williams, who ended the day on a high having taken out the jockeys’ challenge on 10 points, Serene Star overwhelmed them late for a brave win over Koonoomoo who led on the straight, favourit Miss Marx finishing off the trifecta.