Torvill is tipped as the three-year-old filly to...
This Saturday the Gai Waterhouse-trained More Joyous will jump topweight and favourite in the 2012 Toorak Handicap at Caulfield Racecourse, but with 60kg is she really the best Toorak Handicap betting tip?
The now six-year-old daughter of More Than Ready set a weight carrying record with 58kg back in 2010 when she won her first Toorak but will have to defy history and do it all over again if she is to become a dual winner this weekend.
She faces nine classy rivals in this year’s edition of the $400,000 Group 1 Toorak Handicap (1600m), jumping as Caulfield Race 6 at 3:30pm (AEST), and gives a lot of weight away to some top hopefuls.
Having won her past six straight, including both of her new season starts, More Joyous is in flying form and ready for the latest challenge of her stunning career that has netted over $4.47 million in prize money to date.
While she tops the Toorak Handicap odds at bookmaker.com.au there are still a few skeptics around with More Joyous easing out from $2 to $2.25 to win.
Ace jockey Nash Rawiller has full faith in his mount but admits that it will be no walk in the park.
“She has had a lot of challenges in the past and this is just another one,” he said.
”There is probably a bigger challenge for her in the future and this is part of getting her ready for that (the Cox Plate).
“She is at the top of her game and will run a mighty race, but it will be tough with that weight.
“(But) she never lets me down and with a good run she will be the one to beat, even with the big weight.”
There are some other genuine hopes in the mix however including 52kg lightweight Solzhenitsyn drawn ideally in barrier three and last year’s winner King Mufhasa coming off a big Group 1 win back home in NZ.
Earlier the Races.com.au team published our exclusive 2012 Toorak Handicap Form Guide & Betting Stats post and based on what we uncovered there below are our insider tips on the Toorak.
#1 More Joyous ($2.25)
- She may have to set a weight carrying record with 60kg but she is a mighty mare that is up to the challenge and it is really only 8kg over the minimum
- Has won eight Group 1 races in Australia and comes off six straight wins
- Is one of four last start winners in the field having taken out the Group 3 Golden Pendant (1400m) with ease (carrying 59kg) at Rosehill two weeks back
- Easily has the best winning strike rate of these with 75% and place rate with 82.14%
- Loves the mile with four wins from six starts over the 1600m
- Is undefeated at Caulfield with three wins from as many starts
#2 King Mufhasa ($8)
- Tough old eight-year-old that never gives up and is in great form again this time in
- Won this race last year having won the Challenge Stakes and run second in the Windsor Park Plate in NZ
- This year they ran a close fourth in the Challenge Stakes to Cox Plate fancy Ocean Park but won the Windsor Park in fine style
- Boasts two previous wins at the track from four starts
- Is a bit of a specialist over the mile with six wins and two seconds from 14 goes at the 1600m
#7 Solzhenitsyn ($4.80)
- Is right in this with just 52kg meeting the favourite 8kg better in the weights
- Former Kiwi joined Rob Heathcote last year and boats an ultra consistent record in Brisbane including a few black type mile victories such as the Group 3 Lord Mayor’s Cup where they carried 59kg to victory
- Great mile record (3-2-0-1)
- Debuted in Melbourne second-up on September 30 when a brave third to Moment Of Change in the Sir Rupert Clarke
- Proved they can handle anti-clockwise can they handle the class rise?
Roughie We Like
#4 Yosei ($15)
- Her eighth in the Epsom last Saturday was a big effort after missing the start badly
- If it rains conditions will suit
- Should be a fast pace which will also work in her favour
- Is an even race and she’s at a juicy price
- Boasts three Group 1 wins
Lock in our 2012 Toorak Handicap betting tips, or your own selections, at the guaranteed best prices online now at bookmaker.com.au.
Don’t have a bookmaker.com.au account?
Get in on the Caulfield Guineas Day action with a $400 bonus welcome bet simply by opening your bookmaker.com.au account and quoting the promo code BONUSBET when you make your first investment!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.