The Chris Waller trained two year ods The...
On Saturday one of the three feature races on the Caulfield Guineas Day program in Melbourne will be the Toorak Handicap 2012, a race where Gai Waterhouse’s star mare More Joyous will look to break a weight-carrying record to win, and below you will find our exclusive Toorak Handicap form guide and betting analysis.
Set to jump as Caulfield Race 6 at 3:30pm the $400,000 Group 1 David Jones Rose Clinic Toorak Handicap (1600m) has this year drawn a final field of 10 gallopers, eight-time Group 1 winning mare More Joyous the easing $2.25 favourite at bookmaker.com.au.
Drawn nicely in gate four and coming off two easy wins this time in, More Joyous is a mile specialist that deserves her spot at the top of the Toorak Handicap odds as she heads towards a supercharged showdown with her star youngers stablemate Pierro, running in Saturday’s Caulfield Guineas, in the 2012 Cox Plate on October 27.
She may have all the form in the world for this but More Joyous won’t exactly have an easy time in the Toorak lumping a hefty 60kg.
Waterhouse however doesn’t believe the weight will be a problem continuing to sing the six-year-old praises.
“She might get beaten, but it won’t be because of the 60 kilos – she’ll carry it easily,” she said.
“She’s a really big, strong mare and she’s racing in great form. I love seeing horses carry weight, I think that’s what makes racing interesting.”
So can she get the job done or will one of the other fancies in the markets like early market mover Solzhenitsyn ($4.80) coming off a third in the Rupert Clarke, or the gallant defending champ King Mufhasa ($8) have the advantage on the line?
Having studied the Toorak Handicap 2012 field, form guide and betting history below we have the essential facts and stats on the classic to help you clean out the bookies this Caulfield Guineas Day!
2012 Toorak Handicap Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Toorak Handicap winner King Mufhasa won the race on the back of a second in the Windsor Park Plate (NZ), jumped from barrier 11 (of 13) with 58kg and was ridden by Michael Rodd
- On Saturday #2 King Mufhasa ($8) is back to defend their title and this year they won the Windsor Park Plate in the lead-up, are drawn in gate two and will carry 59.5kg with Rodd in the saddle again
- Only four horses in history have won successive Tooraks with Umrum (1999-2000), Nicopolis (1963-64), Desert Breeze (1952-53) and Saxony (1948-59)
- #1 More Joyous ($2.20) is the other former Toorak Handicap winner in the field again this year, she won in 2010 from gate 10 with Nash Rawiller aboard carrying 58kg
- This year she has barrier four and Rawiller but goes up to the 60kg topweight of the field
- Along with #2 King Mufhasa (Group 1 Windsor Park Plate, 1600m, Hastings, NZ, 22/09/2012) and #1 More Joyous (Group 3 Golden Pendant, 1400m, Rosehill, 29/09/2012) there are two other last-start winners in the race with #5 Steps In Time (Group 3 Bill Ritchie Handicap, 1400m, Randwick, 22/09/2012) and #9 Tokugawa (4YO open handicap, 1514m, Moonee Valley, 28/09/2012)
- #1 More Joyous (75.00%) boasts the highest Win Rate of the field by far followed by #5 Steps In Time (50.00%)
- The favourite also has the highest Place Percentage with 82.14% followed by #7 Solzhenitsyn (73.91%)
- #1 More Joyous is also undefeated at Caulfield (3-3-0-0); other horses with winning form at Caulfield are #2 King Mufhasa (4-2-0-0), #4 Yosei (7-1-0-0) and #8 Spirit Song (4-1-2-0)
- Over the mile the horses with the best record are #1 More Joyous (6-4-0-0), # 2 King Mufhasa (14-6-2-0-), #7 Solzhenitsyn (3-2-0-1) and #8 Spirit Song (7-4-2-1)
- 10 mares have won in the past 44 years the most recent of which was More Joyous (2010)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au to view our insider Toorak Handicap tips and selections.
In the meantime check out the full Toorak Handicap betting odds and options open online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $400 bonus welcome bet offer and the innovative Pick Your Own Odds function!
2012 Toorak Handicap Field & Form Guide
Caulfield Race 6 – 3:30pm (AEST) – 13/10/2012
|1.||MORE JOYOUS||Ms G Waterhouse||Nash Rawiller||4||60||6yoM||14||$160,445||28: 21 0 2||75.00%||82.14%||111×11|
|2.||KING MUFHASA||S J Mckee||Michael Rodd||2||59.5||8yoG||21||$50,798||52: 19 6 5||36.54%||57.69%||214×41|
|3.||GLASS HARMONIUM||M D Moroney||James Mc Donald||10||56.5||7yoH||13||$53,887||25: 5 5 2||20.00%||48.00%||0x47x4|
|4.||YOSEI||S J Webb||Glen Boss||9||52.5||5yoM||7||$41,103||28: 4 1 2||14.29%||25.00%||3×0678|
|5.||STEPS IN TIME||J A O’shea||Craig Newitt||5||52||5yoM||21||$36,188||12: 6 1 1||50.00%||66.67%||18×501|
|6.||ILLO||J B Cummings||Michael Walker||7||52||7yoH||21||$11,203||22: 5 4 3||22.73%||54.55%||870×00|
|7.||SOLZHENITSYN||R L Heathcote||Corey Brown||3||52||6yoG||13||$15,575||23: 10 2 5||43.48%||73.91%||111×13|
|8.||SPIRIT SONG||Aaron Purcell||Craig Williams||1||52||5yoM||13||$20,759||22: 7 6 1||31.82%||63.64%||11×522|
|9.||TOKUGAWA||L J Corstens||Steven King||8||52||5yoG||15||$31,136||9: 4 1 1||44.44%||66.67%||6×1381|
|10.||ULUNDI||P G Carey||Timothy Bell||6||52||5yoG||15||$7,224||25: 4 1 5||16.00%||40.00%||71×980|
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.