Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday the headline race in Melbourne will be the Caulfield Guineas 2012 for three-year-olds and below the Races.com.au crew have their insider Caulfield Guineas form guide analysis and betting preview.
The $1 million Group 1 BECK Caulfield Guineas (1600m), due to run as Caulfield Race 7 at 4:10pm (AEST), has drawn a small field of just eight starters this year with Gai Waterhouse’s superlative colt Pierro scaring off the bulk of the competition.
Undefeated in eight throughout their career which has already produced three Group 1 victories, the son of Lonhro is heading towards the Cox Plate in flying fashion and despite drawing wide (barrier seven) and seeing Caulfield for the first time on Saturday will take some beating.
Unsurprisingly Pierro is dominating the Caulfield Guineas odds at bookmaker.com.au the young champion now into a very short $1.24 and firming.
The only other horse under $10 in the Caulfield Guineas betting markets is then Peter Snowden’s Golden Rose winner Epaulette ($8) who comes off a win in the Group 3 Caulfield Guineas Prelude (1400m).
“There’s enough confidence. He’s ticked all the boxes. He’s run at Caulfield and he’s in the best form he can be,” Snowden said of his hopeful, keeping his chin up despite the mammoth task of defeating Pierro ahead.
So is Pierro really unbeatable? And if so, who are the best of the rest in the Caulfield Guineas field for you to lock into those exotics at bookmaker.com.au?
Having gone over the betting history, field and form here we have the must know Caulfield Guineas facts and stats for you to read before placing your bets on the big one this weekend.
2012 Caulfield Guineas Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Caulfield Guineas winner was the Peter Snowden-trained favourite Helmet who came off a win in the Caulfield Guineas Prelude, jumped form barrier 8 (of 8) and was ridden by Kerrin McEvoy
- This year Snowden will vie for back-to-back wins with #2 Epaulette ($8) in barrier six with last year’s winning jockey McEvoy, the only jockey in this year’s race to have ridden a previous Caulfield Guineas winner, engaged for the ride
- Barrier six has actually produced the most Caulfield Guineas winners in history with six victories
- The next most successful barrier is then gate four with five winners; gate five belongs this year to #5 Road Trippin ($101)
- Along with #2 Epaulette (Peter Snowden) other horses in the race prepared by a former Caulfield Guineas winning trainer are then #3 All Too Hard (John Hawkes), and the Leon Corstens-trained duo of #6 Carringbush Jack ($101) and #7 Awesome Bro ($15)
- #2 Epaulette also won the Caulfield Guineas Prelude like their former stablemate Helmet did before their Guineas success 12 months ago
- In fact, over the past 10 years the Caulfield Guineas Prelude has produced seven Caulfield Guineas winners with Helmet (2011) one of three to complete the double along with Anacheeva (2010) and Wonderful World (2006)
- Last year’s winning barrier 8 meanwhile belongs on Saturday to #4 Ashokan ($26)
- Along with #2 Epaulette (Group 3 Caulfield Guineas Prelude, 1400m, Caulfield, 30/09/2012) the other last start winner in the field is the hot favourite #1 Pierro (Group 2 Bill Stutt Stakes, 1600m, Moonee Valley, 28/09/2012)
- The Bill Stutt Stakes is the second best form race leading into the Caulfield Guineas aside from the Prelude with two Caulfield Guineas winners in the past decade having come via the race with Whobegotyou (2008) and Helenus (2002)
- Unbeaten in all eight of their career starts to date, #1 Pierro ($1.24) obviously boasts the highest win and place rates of this field with 100%
- The next best Win Rate then belongs to #2 Epaulette (57.514%) while #8 Let Go Lenni ($21) is yet to finish out of the money with a perfect place percentage of 100%
- #2 Epaulette (1-1-0-0) is the only horse to have won at Caulfield before while #7 Awesome Bro (1-0-0-1) and #8 Let Go Lenni (1-0-1-0) have run top three at the track
- #1 Pierro (2-2-0-0) is unbeaten over the Caulfield Guineas distance (1600m) with #6 Carringbush Jack (1-0-1-0) the only other hopeful to have finished in the money over the mile
- History is mixed on the favourites in the Caulfield Guineas with 3 of the past 10 Caulfield Guineas betting favourites saluting for the punters (average price $2.38)
- However 4 of the past 10 Caulfield Guineas favourits have failed to run a place
- Since 1983 only 9 Caulfield Guineas favourites have won but 7 have placed top three
- There have been 8 double-figure Caulfield Guineas winners since 1983
- Finally colts have a much higher strike rate than geldings in the race with only seven geldings winning the race since 1983; #5 Road Trippin and #7 Awesome Bro are the two geldings looking to buck the trend this year
Stay tuned to Races.com.au over the week for more Caulfield Guineas 2012 betting updates.
In the meantime check out the full range of Caulfield Guineas Day betting markets open now at bookmaker.com.au and enjoy a $400 bonus welcome bet on the house when you deposit and quote the code BONUSBET!
2012 Caulfield Guineas Field & Form Guide
Caulfield Race 7 – 4:10pm – 13/10/2012
|1.||PIERRO||Ms G Waterhouse||Nash Rawiller||7||56.5||3yoC||15||$394,369||8: 8 0 0||100.00%||100.00%||111×11|
|2.||EPAULETTE||Peter Snowden||Kerrin Mc Evoy||6||56.5||3yoC||13||$141,736||7: 4 1 1||57.14%||85.71%||20×311|
|3.||ALL TOO HARD||“M, W and J Hawkes||Dwayne Dunn||3||56.5||3yoC||21||$64,457||7: 3 1 1||42.86%||71.43%||12×354|
|4.||ASHOKAN||J A O’shea||James Mc Donald||8||56.5||3yoC||13||$28,918||7: 1 1 1||14.29%||42.86%||06×634|
|5.||ROAD TRIPPIN||Stephen Theodore||Ben Melham||5||56.5||3yoG||15||$10,380||10: 1 2 2||10.00%||50.00%||7×3154|
|6.||CARRINGBUSH JACK||L J Corstens||Jacob Noonan (a)||4||56.5||3yoC||15||$14,104||6: 1 3 0||16.67%||66.67%||214522|
|7.||AWESOME BRO||L J Corstens||Craig Williams||2||56.5||3yoG||13||$13,635||5: 2 1 1||40.00%||80.00%||11523|
|8.||LET GO LENNI||M G Price||Craig Newitt||1||56.5||3yoC||13||$14,347||3: 1 1 1||33.33%||100.00%||3×12|
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and are subject to change
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.