Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
Murray Baker’s flying Kiwi galloper It’s A Dundeel continued their unbeaten winning streak at Randwick on Saturday, bookies taking no time to slash their price in the Victoria Derby 2012 odds for next month’s Melbourne Cup Carnival classic.
The High Chaparral colt, formerly known simply as Dundeel, debuted back home at Ellerslie in New Zealand with a win in April and is yet to taste defeat since.
They travelled to Sydney in August to win a handicap at Wyong before another narrow victory at Canterbury in September.
From there it was a quick rise through the ranks the progressive three-year-old taking out the Group 3 Gloaming Stakes (1800m) on September 22 before their upset victory over odds-on favourite Proisir in the Group 1 Spring Champion Stakes (2000m) on Epsom Handicap Day over the weekend.
The victory proved It’s A Dundeel was a serious stayer in the making and cemented their spot at the top of the odds for the $1.5 million Group 1 AAMI Victoria Derby (2500m) at Flemington on Saturday November 3.
At the start of last week punters could get It’s A Dundeel as long as $3.80 in the Victoria Derby 2012 betting markets at bookmaker.com.au.
They have however since firmed dramatically into $2.80 to hand Baker with his second Victoria Derby success in three years, the Cambridge-based horseman having taken out the feature with the ill-fated Lion Tamer back in 2010.
It is then a logjam in the Victoria Derby odds for second pick with five horses all installed at $11 with:
- Honorius (David Payne) – Has run top three in all three runs this time in including second in the Gloaming Stakes and a credible third in the Spring Champion, should like the distance
- Hvasstan (Peter Gelagotis) – Ran a slashing second behind the unbeaten Philippi in the Listed UCI Stakes over 1800m at Flemington on the weekend, won back-to-back races over 1700m before that, is only lightly-raced and needs to step up in distance but has promise
- Kabayan (Gai Waterhouse) – Previous second elect but has eased slightly, improved on a Golden Rose fifth to easily defeat Golden Rose runner-up Albrecht by nearly two lengths in the Group 2 Stan Fox Stakes (1500m) at Rosehill two weeks back
- Our Desert Warrior (Gai Waterhouse) – Another Waterhouse three-year-old, this son of Desert King has had just the one run to date but it was an impressive won that produced a 1500m win at Kembla Grange, unsure what path they will take to the Derby but it’s not via the Caulfield Guineas like many of the others
- Philippi (Michael Kent) – Undefeated Host colt last seen winning the UCI Stakes over the weekend, avoided a clash with Cox Plate favourite Pierro in the Stan Fox and has won three from three because of it
Occupying the third line of Victoria Derby betting are then $12 fancies All Too Hard who ran a credible fourth to Shoot Out in the Group 1 George Main Stakes last time out, and Peter Snowden’s stakes winning Commands Colt Proverb, while the fellow Snowden-trained Solemn on $17 rounds out the hopefuls under $20 in the latest markets.
2012 Victoria Derby first acceptances will be taken on October 23 before the final field is announced on the 31st.
Check out the full Victoria Derby betting odds and options open online now at bookmaker.com.au and get in on the action before you favourite firms over the coming weeks.
Don’t have a bookmaker.com.au account? Join up with Australia’s premier online bookie today quoting the code BONUSBET to also have your first deposit matched 100 percent up to $400 as a bonus bet!
2012 Victoria Derby Odds
Flemington – 03/11/2012
|IT’S A DUNDEEL||2.80|
|OUR DESERT WARRIOR||11.00|
|ALL TOO HARD||12.00|
*All-In odds are Top 15 only – see bookmaker.com.au for updates and to bet now!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.