It is a wide open and very interesting betting market for the 2012 Turnbull Stakes at Flemington Racecourse this Saturday, the key spring cups and Cox Plate lead-up featuring a bumper field of gallopers, but which is the horse you should have your money on?
Due to jump at 4:20pm as Flemington Race 7, the $500,000 Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m) has already had an early scratching with #14 Sanagas ruled out of the race paving the way for the emergency #17 Seville, now withdrawn from their back-up race in the $120,000 Listed The Bart Cummings (2520m), to gain a start.
There are currently five horses under $10 in the latest Turnbull Stakes odds at bookmaker.com.au and a further six under $20 in the markets making for a tough race for the punters.
Current favourite is last year’s Caulfield Cup runner-up Green Moon ($4.80).
They are followed by the likes of defending Turnbull Stakes winner December Draw ($6) and last year’s Caulfield Cup champ Southern Speed ($7).
Throw into the mix other classy runners such as Peter Moody’s eye-catching Underwood Stakes runner-up Voila Ici ($8), last start Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes winner Happy Trails ($10) and last year’s Cox Plate minor place-getter Rekindled Interest ($12) and this race really has many livewire chances.
That’s where the Races.com.au’s 2012 Turnbull Stakes Form Guide & Betting Preview and the below Turnbull Stakes tips come in!
#3 December Draw ($6)
- Favourites have a poor record with just one saluting since 2006 when the race gained Group 1 status and that was this horse at $2.15 last year
- Not tempting fate again we are steering clear of this year’s favourite and backing the defending champ
- Michael Rodd rides again this year and they have barrier three, the last six Turnbull winners jumping from a single-digit gate
- Seven Turnbull winners in the past 16 years contested both the Makybe Diva Stakes and the Underwood Stakes in the lead up and December Draw comes off these two races having run eighth and then a much improved third
- Is a Flemington track specialist having won four of their five starts here
- Also has a great record over 2000m (11-5-1-1)
- Is undefeated at the track and distance with three wins from as many starts
#9 Voila Ici ($8)
- Early market mover as the punters do the form and see this horse has the right sort
- Peter Moody’s import ran sixth in the Memsie Stakes in their Australian debut as a $40 chance then last start ran a slashing second as a $30 roughie in the Underwood
- Won’t get them at those odds but $8 is still good for the consistent stayer with the step up to 2000m to suit with their record over the distance a good one (9-3-4-2)
- Also boasts the best place rate of the field (80%) along with Ethiopia
#11 Green Moon ($4.80)
- This isn’t a race for favourites but Green Moon has class and will be hard to beat
- Come off a devastatingly close second to Happy Trails in the Dato but didn’t contest the Underwood so go from 1600m straight to the 2000m
- Has a credible record at Flemington (4-1-1-0) and has run second over this track and distance previously
Roughie We Like
#15 Sneak A Peek ($13)
- Another Moody-trained import with promise
- Beat home Melbourne Cup hope Jakkalberry and Voil Ici in a Group 2 over 2211m in Italy last year
- Has had two runs down under most recently a credible fifth in the Dato, will improve here with the extra distance
- Watch for them head towards Voila Ici on the inside early
Get behind our Turnbull Stakes trifecta tip, or lock in your own selections for the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival classic online now at bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $400 bonus welcome bet offer open to new depositing customers that quote the unique code word BONUSBET this season.
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change