It may be just a small field for the Group 1 2012 Spring Champion Stakes (2000m) this weekend but it includes some three-year-olds who possess genuine quality.
Among that genuine quality is the race favourite Proisir ($1.45) who is a clear top betting pick ahead of fellow unbeaten colt It’s A Dundeel ($4.20).
Both are talented, unbeaten colts who are destined for bigger things this spring and throughout their careers.
- #1 Proisir $1.45
- Three starts to date: shortest winning margin of two lengths.
- Won last start at Newcastle in the Group 3 Spring Champion Stakes by an astonishing six lengths.
- Comes from the highly successful Waterhouse stable and as such as ridden forward meaning he is likely to control the race pace.
- This will suit him in the contest against It’s A Dundeel who is a back market and may be left with too much to catch.
- Nash Rawiller rides again, knows the horse and is one of the best judges of pace in the business.
- Hard to back against but is the $1.45 too short?
- #2 It’s a Dundeel bookmaker.com.au
- He’s a star in the making and will love the extra distance here as he steps up to 2000m for the first time.
- Trained by Murray Baker who knows how to get them up for the big races.
- Could be tough to run down Proisir if he isn’t ridden more forward this time out as has come from the back in all starts thus far.
- Has a sensational finish though as seen in the Gloaming Stakes.
There are some other promising types in the field such as Honorius ($10.00), Lunar Rise ($13.00) and King Of Olympia but it’s hard to look past the top two in this race.
Quinella: #1 Proisir and #2 It’s A Dundeel