Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
On the comeback trail after fracturing their leg in last year’s Caulfield Cup, Mark Kavanagh’s untapped stayer December Draw will look to score another Group 1 title when they take on a quality field of fellow spring stars in the 2012 Turnbull Stakes on Saturday but can they continue their good form with a win?
The imported Medecis gelding was in flying form last spring winning three on the trot including the $500,000 Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m), which they will defend their title in this weekend, before running dead last as the beaten and injured favourite in the Caulfield Cup.
Eleven weeks on the sidelines and the now six-year-old returned with a first-up eighth in the Makybe Diva Stakes behind last year’s Caulfield Cup winner Southern Speed.
They showed great improvement second-up however and come into the Turnbull Stakes 2012 on the back of an eye-catching third behind Cox Plate fancy Ocean Park in the Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m) at Caulfield on September 22.
December Draw is the current $6 second pick in the Turnbull Stakes odds at bookmaker.com.au behind Caulfield Cup runner-up Green Moon ($4.60), but in such a hot field can they become just the third multiple Turnbull Stakes winner in history?
#3 December Draw – Horse Details
- Jockey: Michael Rodd
- Trainer: Mark Kavanagh
- Owners: Mr R A Pegum, Mr G Towzell
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Medecis from Danzero mare New York
- Career: 25-8-3-5
- Win: 32%
- Place: 64%
- Last 6: 110×83
- Prize Money: $611,772
- Track: 5-4-0-0
- Distance: 11-5-1-1
- Track & Distance: 3-3-0-0
- Current 2012 Turnbull Stakes Odds: $6
Why December Draw Can Win the 2012 Turnbull Stakes
- Loves Flemington racecourse having won four of their five starts at the track including last year’s Turnbull Stakes
- The distance (2000m) is ideal with December Draw having won five from 11
- Also undefeated over the track and distance with three wins from as many starts over the 2000m at Flemington
- Last year’s winning jockey Michael Rodd is on again
- Has drawn barrier three and the past six Turnbull winners (themselves included last year with barrier seven) have jumped from a single-digit gate
- Was the only favourite since 2006 (when the Turnbull became a Group 1 race) to salute paying $2.15 last year, so their status as non-favourite this year works in their favour
- Seven of the past 16 Underwood Stakes winners contested both the Makybe Diva Stakes and Underwood Stakes in the lead-up and this year December Draw has come via these races running eighth and third respectively
Why December Draw Won’t Go Back-to-Back in the Turnbull Stakes 2012
- Needs to improve again on their two first-up runs and beat some smart horses including Southern Speed again
- Has only been two horses previously to win multiple Turnbull Stakes with Comic Court (1949-50) and Vo Rogue (1987-88) meaning history is against December Draw doing it here
Think December Draw has what it takes to win their second straight Turnbull Stakes? Or fancy one of their class rivals for the win such as Cox Plate-bound Rekindled Interest at a juicy $12?
Simply head to bookmaker.com.au and take two minutes out of your day to open a new account with the country’s premier online bookie to access all the hottest spring racing markets!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.