Gai Waterhouse’s untapped four-year-old Fat Al has been well supported to step up to Group 1 company and take home the bikkies in the Epsom Handicap 2012 but can the young favourite get the job done at Randwick on Saturday?
A dual Group 3 winner at the track back in April, Fat Al has had two good runs this time in when second to fellow Epsom hopeful Ambidexter in the Group 2 Theo Marks Stakes (1400m) and then third to Rolling Pin – also in contention on Saturday, in the Group 2 Shannon Stakes (1500m).
They will be fitter third-up and the bookies believe the son of Al Maher is the one to beat in the $500,000 Group 1 The Star Epsom (1600m), Fat Al paying $4.60 in the latest bookmaker.com.au markets.
To see whether Fat Al is the deserved favourite worth a punt on this weekend, below we take a look at the evidence for and against the top elect to become the Epsom Handicap 2012 winner.
#8 Fat Al – Horse Details
- Jockey: Tommy Berry
- Trainer: Gai Waterhouse
- Owners: Miss K Waterhouse, Mrs L M Bruhn, Mr A W Bruhn, Mrs L J Bruhn, Mr S W Bruhn, Mr P A Mills, Mrs D M Mills, The Agents Racing, Recurpen, Blue Demon
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Al Maher from Snaadee mare Fatoon
- Career: 9-5-2-1
- Win: 55.56%
- Place: 88.89%
- Last 6: 111×23
- Prize Money: $351,250
- Track: 2-2-0-0
- Distance: 2-1-1-0
- Current 2012 Epsom Handicap Odds: $4.60
Yes Fat Al Can Become the 2012 Epsom Handicap Winner
- Ultra consistent career record to date with five wins from nine starts finishing out of the money just once which was on their debut
- Has the best win rate of the field (55.56%) and place rate (88.89%)
- Undefeated at Randwick with two Group 3 wins during the autumn here including one of the track and distance
- Also great record over the mile (2-1-1-0)
- Prepared by the modern day’s most successful Epsom Handicap trainer Gai Waterhouse who has prepared six winners, one off her father TJ Smith’s record
- Ran third in the Shannon Stakes last start which last year’s Epsom winner Secret Admirer ran fourth in in her lead-up 12 months again
- Come back from 58kg last start to just 52kg here
No Fat Al Won’t Win the Epsom Handicap 2012
- Has to stay out of trouble from barrier six (of 15)
- Faces some tough Group 1 performing rivals including the Chris Waller-trained stablemates Shoot Out and Rangirangdoo who will take some beating after running the George Main quinella last time out
- Are only four and still have maturing to do
Whether you are sticking with the favourite or backing an upset Epsom Handicap results the best Sydney Spring Racing Carnival odds can be found online at bookmaker.com.au.
Join bookmaker.com.au today and enjoy a $400 bonus sign-up bet simply by making your first deposit and quoting the codeword BONUSBET!