Successful Joe Pride-trained sprinter Rain Affair is rated a short-priced favourite to win the Group 2 2012 Premiere Stakes (1200m) at Randwick on Saturday.
The five-year-old is being offered at $2.50 by bookmaker.com.au to bounce back from a disappointing first-up fourth and add to his outstanding record of 11 wins from 16 starts.
A convincing win would see the son of Commands shoot back into contention for a shot at the Group 1 Manikato Stakes later this month which was his original spring target.
While the exciting front-runner is a clear favourite, there are plenty of other quality runners in the field including:
- Streama ($6.00): Multiple Group 1 winner heading towards the Myer Classic. Ran a promising third first-up to More Joyous in the Sheraco Stakes.
- Red Tracer ($6.00): Ultra consistent mare who will kick off her spring campaign this weekend. Has a great first-up record and is coming off a Brisbane winter campaign where she won at Group 2 level and finished fourth in the Group 1 Tatt’s Tiara. Would prefer it wet.
- Satin Shoes ($8.00): Finished ahead of Rain Affair when third in the Concorde first-up and has since run a narrow second to Pampelonne in the Shorts. No doubting the consistency of this mare but she has drawn the widest barrier in the 10-horse field.
- Pear Tart ($12.00): Promising mare who is running first-up here. Has won her last four starts including the Group 1 Tattersall’s Tiara.
- Emotional Circus ($14.00): A run-on type horse who will benefit from the speed set be Rain Affair up front. Beat Miss Marx first-up who has since run a second to More Joyous and won the Testa Rossa Stakes.
As it looks it is a case of Rain Affair against a group of classy mares and it is sure to be a thrilling way to round out the day at Randwick this weekend.