Tonight a super charged program will get Moonee Valley night racing underway for another season, the evening’s closing race being the 2012 JRA Cup – the Races.com.au’s insider tips for which are detailed below.
Set to jump at 10:15pm this year’s $200,000 Group 3 JRA Cup (2040m) features a full field of 14 gallopers, the early favourite of which is the Robert Hickmott-trained Excluded paying $2.90 (out from $2.80) to win through bookmaker.com.au.
The High Chaparral five-year-old steps up to black type company for the first time here for start number 16 and is possibly owner Lloyd Williams’ most exciting, non-imported spring cups hopeful.
They come into the race on the back of back-to-back Melbourne wins, firstly over 1519m at Moonee Valley and then over 2000m at Flemington giving them a win at both tonight’s track and distance.
Other top fancies in the JRA Cup betting markets include the Bart Cummings-trained veteran Precedence ($6), Anthony Cummings’ progressive galloper Fruehling ($6.50) in gate two, and smart Mornington mare Dance With Her ($8.50) looking to earn a shot at the 2012 Caulfield Cup next month.
So these are the bookies’ picks, but what stayer does Races.com.au have rated special to win?
#1 Precedence ($6)
- Looked good winning at the track two weeks back over the mile carrying 60.5kg
- Are the 58kg topweight tonight but will enjoy the drop back from what they carried last time
- Moonee Valley specialist with four wins from six starts at the track
- Is a million dollar earner that is always competitive in these staying features this time of year
#6 Excluded ($2.90)
- Won over the track two back and also has winning form over the distance from last start at Flemington
- Has Craig Williams in the saddle which never hurts on the 54kg minimum
- This isn’t their grand final, but neither were their other two recent wins
- Progressing well and will take some beating
- Has the second best Win Rate of the field (46.67%) and the second highest place percentage (66.67%)
#13 Fruehling ($6.50)
- A definite up-and-comer that we haven’t seen the best of yet
- Ultra-consistent record so far and they boast the best Win (50%) and Place (100%) percentages of the field
- Won first-up over the Mornignton mile and will like getting up in distance where they have a good record (2-1-1-0), also decent second-up record (2-1-1-0)
#5 Dance With Her ($8.50)
- No doubt she rises in class here but looks to be able to handle that
- Ran a slashing second in Brisbane Cup behind Lights Of Heaven during the winter
- Resumed with fifth to Southern Speed in the Makybe Diva over the mile, will appreciate the step up in distance here
- Her second-up record is also decent with two wins from five starts
- Has winning form at the track (7-2-2-0)
Roughie We Like
#2 Alcopop ($16)
- Won this race three years ago and could be a surprise finish in the top three this year
- Wasn’t disgraced last time out, their run was unlucky and they will improve
Whether you’re backing or sacking our JRA Cup selections make sure you get the hottest Moonee Valley odds for tonight’s meet online at bookmaker.com.au.
Remember to also quote the exclusive codeword BONUSBET if you are new to sign-up with bookmaker.com.au to unlock your $400 bonus bet.