Forty five horses have been nominated for the Group 1 2012 Manikato Stakes (1200m) which will take place at Moonee Valley on Friday October 26.
The $750,000 event is one of the premier sprints of the spring carnival and always attracts high quality entries.
With Black Caviar and Hay List absent from the entire spring, the path has been cleared for a horse to step up chase the mantle of the nation’s best sprinter.
A number of Group 1 winners have been entered for the Manikato Stakes as well a large contingent of sprinters who are chasing their first shot at top class glory.
Notable nominations for the exciting feature sprint include:
- Buffering (Robert Heathcote): Multiple placings behind Black Caviar and Hay List. Consistent sprinter who is a proven weight-for-age competitor.
- Sea Siren (John O’Shea): Won the BTC Cup in the absence of Buffering before beating the Queenslander in the Doomben 10,000.
- Rain Affair (Joe Pride): Struggled first-up in the Concorde but has always been suspect on firm tracks. Has won 11 of 16 starts and finished second twice at Group 1 level in the autumn.
- Tiger Tees (Joe Pride): Beat his highly-rated stablemate in the Concorde Stakes and boasts a winning strike rate of 69 percent with nine from 13.
- Temple Of Boom (Tony Gollan): Experienced sprinter who broke through at Group 1 level in the Galaxy in April.
- Bel Sprinter (Jason Warren): Had a frustrating autumn with injury but is ultra-talented and looks to be back on track with a first-up win in the McEwen Stakes.
- Atomic Force (Mick Price): Dual Group 1 winner who has recently being transferred to experienced Victorian trainer Mick Price to oversee his spring campaign.
- Snitzerland (Gerald Ryan): Probably an unlikely starter but the Golden Slipper runner-up is a flying filly who has won both her spring starts to date.
For the best betting on all this spring’s top racing, sign up at bookmaker.com.au! The Aussie-owned bookie is preferred by Races.com.au due to their fantastic odds and $400 bonus bet offer for new customers!
Manikato Stakes 2012 – Nominations
|3||ATOMIC FORCE||Mick Price||108|
|4||BEL SPRINTER||Jason Warren||106|
|6||CELEBRITY GIRL||Mark Kavanagh||92|
|7||CURTANA||Peter G Moody||103|
|9||ELITE FALLS||John O’Shea||101|
|10||EVER THE SAME||Anthony Cummings||91|
|12||FREE WHEELING||Peter Snowden||95|
|13||GREEN BIRDIE (NZ)||Tony Vasil||106|
|14||HALLOWELL BELLE||Gai Waterhouse||103|
|15||KING’S ROSE (NZ)||Peter G Moody||110|
|16||KULGRINDA||Peter G Moody||103|
|17||LADY OF HARRODS||Russell Cameron||92|
|19||LONE ROCK||Robert Smerdon||108|
|21||METALLURGICAL||John P Thompson||95|
|22||MID SUMMER MUSIC||Peter G Moody|
|23||MISS MARX||David Vandyke||87|
|24||MOMENT OF CHANGE||Peter G Moody||99|
|26||NOBBY SNIP||Gai Waterhouse|
|27||PAGO ROCK||David Hayes||95|
|29||PANE IN THE GLASS||John P Thompson||89|
|32||RAIN AFFAIR||Joseph Pride||109|
|33||READY TO RIP||Peter G Moody||100|
|34||RED TRACER||Chris Waller||107|
|35||SATIN SHOES||Clarry Conners||101|
|36||SEA SIREN||John O’Shea||111|
|39||SPIRIT OF BOOM||Tony Gollan||103|
|40||STIRLING GROVE||Richard Jolly||99|
|41||TEMPLE OF BOOM||Tony Gollan||109|
|42||THANKGODYOU’REHERE||Peter Morgan & Craig Widdison||104|
|43||TIGER TEES (NZ)||Joseph Pride||106|
|44||WEALTH PRINCESS (NZ)||Darren Weir||104|
|45||WE’RE GONNA ROCK||Mark Kavanagh||107|