Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
One of the major support races on George Main Stakes Day at Royal Randwick this Saturday is the 2012 The Shorts, the Races.com.au team’s exclusive tips for which are detailed below.
Running as Randwick Race 8, which will bring the day’s action to a close at 5:20pm, the $200,000 Group 2 Bowermans Office Furniture The Shorts (1200m) features a bumper 17 acceptors making the winner a tough one to pick.
Currently The Shorts odds at bookmaker.com.au are led by $3.70 favourite Rain Affair, the ultra-consistent Joe Pride-trained sprinter drawn ideally in gate two of 17 and with plenty to prove after a career worst fourth first-up to stablemate Tiger Tees in the Concord Stakes.
There are a handful of other single-figure chances for The Shorts betting markets this year including the Gai Waterhouse-trained Nobby Snip ($7), early market mover Emotional Circus ($7.50) and last year’s Golden Rose winner Manawanui ($8).
So can Rain Affair return to form and earn back the love of the punters with their 12th career win from 17 starts on Saturday or is an upset The Shorts result on the cards?
This is where The Shorts 2012 form guide and betting history comes in.
Having gone over the entire field and the horse’s form and stats our expert tipsters have come up with the horses they rate special to finish top three as well as a juicy roughie pick to add into your exotics for value.
#3 Rain Affair ($3.70)
- Great record over the distance (5-3-1-0) and winning form at the track (3-1-2-0)
- Is the rank horse in this race and the deserved favourite
- Boasts the best win rate of the field (68.75%) and the highest place percentage (87.50%)
- First-up fourth in the Concorde Stakes can be forgiven, they’re ready to jump back on the wagon
- Unbeaten second-up (2-2-0-0) including their big four length victory in the Group 2 Expressway Stakes in the autumn over the 1200m
- Raced in Group 1 company during April when second in both the TJ Smith Stakes and All Aged Stages against better horses than these
#1 Manawanui ($8)
- Carries the equal 58.5kg topweight but is a Group 1 winner and cannot be ignored
- Bit of a forgotten horse since their Golden Rose triumph but could come on as a four-year-old
- Last seen running fifth in the Randwick Guineas and are yet to finish out of the money first-up (3-1-1-1)
- Great place rate (83.33%)
- Distance also suites (2-1-1-0)
#5 Pampelonne ($13)
- Gets a draw in gate seven
- Hasn’t won since October last year but has been competitive with efforts including their third to Sepoy in the Coolmore that Derby Day and their close second to Rain Affair in the Challenge Stakes in the autumn
- Runs second-up here and their second-up record is decent (3-1-1-0)
- Third when resuming in the Concorde beating home Rain Affair (4th)
- Good record at Randwick (3-2-0-0) so sees the right track here
- Jim Cassidy stays on and the blinkers come off – both ticks
Fancy a dollar or two on our The Shorts betting roughie pick? Or have your own selections for the last at Randwick you want to have a punt on?
Visit the country’s No. 1 sportsbook bookmaker.com.au today to join the online betting revolution and enjoy not only access to the hottest horse racing odds but also a $400 bonus welcome bet when you use the limited-time-only code BONUSBET!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.