While not attracting quite the same amount of fanfare as some of the day’s other Group races, the 2012 Bill Ritchie Handicap at Royal Randwick on Saturday is still well worth a punt on with a quality field of middle distance gallopers engaged.
Due to jump at 3:20pm as Randwick Race 5, one event before the day’s feature race with the Group 1 George Main Stakes scheduled for 4:00pm, the $125,000 Group 3 Bill Ritchie Handicap (1400m) features a number of talented Group performers including the $3.50 favouite Torio’s Quest.
Brett Partelle’s Oratorio gelding hasn’t won a race since the 2011 Queensland Guineas but looks set for a good season after winning two recent Sydney barrier trials, the Bill Ritchie their first run since finishing 15th in the Stradbroke Handicap back in June.
The bookies and punters are having a hard time separating this field and the Bill Ritchie betting markets are close at bookmaker.com.au with four other single-figure chances including the Chris Waller-trained Randwick Guineas runner-up Said Com ($4) and Colin Scott’s consistent five-year-old Speediness ($4.80).
In such a tight market it can be hard to determine the pretenders from the genuine contenders so below the Races.com.au team have our insider Bill Ritchie Handicap 2012 betting tips to help you clean out the bookies on George Main Stakes Day.
#6 Said Com ($4)
- Drawn in gate seven (into six) where jockey Corey Brown has options
- Has the fitness factor with three runs this time in behind them, the most recent of which was a credible sixth in the Tramway Handicap over this distance
- Had a great campaign during the autumn including their second to Mosheen in the Randwick Guineas fourth-up and looks ready to return to similar form here
- Yet to win over the distance but has run two thirds from three attempts and boasts an excellent Win & Place rate of 80%
#2 Steps In Time ($5)
- Gets a draw with gate five and Jim Cassidy in the saddle
- Consistent Win & Place rate (64%)
- Distance looks ideal (5-2-0-1)
- Has been disappointing in her opening two starts this time in but looks set to improve here
- Had no luck last start when 10th in the Tramway, forgive
- Won over this distance with Cassidy in aboard by 4.5 lengths in the Listed Wiggle Stakes during the autumn
- Has also won at Group 2 level but that like the Wiggle was mares-only company, time for her to step up
#3 Torio’s Quest ($3.50)
- A Group 2 winner that can defeat these types with luck and if they are firing
- Run first-up after a spell and their record when resuming is fair (4-1-1-0)
- Raced in Group 1 company last season and will have an easier time here
- Come off two barrier trial wins in Sydney, the last over 1200m at Warwick Farm on September 14
Roughie We Like
#10 Dare To Dream ($41)
- Very juicy on this Bart Cummings’ import making their Aussie debut
- Lightly-raced with just four starts to their name but they have won three of those (and placed third in the other in their first ever run)
- Most recently seen running away to take out a handicap over 2011m in the wet in Britain winning by a comfortable three lengths with 59kg
- Gets in here with 54.5kg and has gate six with top Kiwi hoop James McDonald riding
- Decent first-up record too (2-1-0-1)
Get in on the Bill Ritchie Handicap betting action today at the best prices online with our preferred sportsbook bookmaker.com.au who offer the best range of fixed win odds in the country.
If you are a new depositing customer at bookmaker.com.au they also have a special sign-up offer awaiting your registration – a $400 bonus welcome bet when you quote the code BONUSBET that you can split into 4 x $100 bets to use across four races of your choice this season!