This Saturday a field bursting with Caulfield Cup and Cox Plate hopefuls will face off in the Underwood Stakes 2012, a detailed form guide and betting preview for which is detailed below.
Due to jump at 3:40pm as Caulfield Race 7 the $400,000 Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m) commences the Group 1 racing action of the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival and has drawn one of its most impressive fields to date in 2012.
Hot favourite in the Underwood Stakes odds at bookmaker.com.au is the Peter Moody-trained Manighar ($2.30) who shoots for their fourth Group 1 title on Saturday, all of their elite level success having occurred since being transferred from Luca Cumani’s UK stables to those of ace Victorian trainer Moody late last year.
Throw into the mix the likes of Manighar’s last start conqueror Southern Speed ($7), the in-form Sincero ($5.50) coming off a first-up win in the Memsie Stakes, Group 1 winning Kiwi Ocean Park ($8) and last year’s beaten Caulfield Cup favourite December Draw ($9) on their form rise and it is certainly an intriguing Underwood Stakes field.
So can Manighar get the job done for the punters and win en route to the Cox Plate next month?
Will Southern Speed get the better of the favourite for the second time on the trot?
Or can a longer priced hopeful such as Anthony Freedman’s Doomben Cup champ Mawingo ($12) score an upset Underwood Stakes result on Saturday?
To help you back a winner at bookmaker.com.au the Races.com.au crew has gone over the 2012 Underwood Stakes field, form guide and betting history to come up with the below must know facts on the crucial weight-for-age spring classic.
2012 Underwood Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Underwood Stakes winner Lion Tamer won the race second-up, came via a fourth in the Challenge Stakes in NZ, jumped from barrier 6 (of 14) and was ridden by Michael Rodd
- This year 11 of the 14 Underwood Stakes horses race second-up and of those the ones that ran top four are #1 Manighar ($2.30), #3 Sincero ($5.50) and #13 Ocean Park ($8)
- #13 Ocean Park also comes via the Challenge Stakes having won the Group 1 feature last-start
- Last year’s winning gate six belongs this year to #11 Illo ($51) while Rodd will seek back-to-back wins having gained the ride on #8 December Draw ($9)
- #14 Southern Speed ($7) meanwhile ran second in the Underwood last year fourth-up from barrier 12 with Danny Nickolic aboard before her Caulfield Cup victory and this year she will look to go one better racing fourth-up again this time drawing gate 11 with Craig Williams to ride
- No mare however has won the Underwood since it became an 1800m race back in 1994, the most recent mare to win being Tristarc (1985)
- Southern Speed would also become just the second horse in history along with Rain Lover (1969) to win the race having run second the year before
- The Bart Cummings-trained import #10 Sanagas ($61) boasts the highest Win Rate of the field with 58.33% followed by #3 Sincero (52.17%) and #13 Ocean Park (50.00%)
- #13 Ocean Park then has the best Place Percentage with 87.50% followed by #4 Voila Ici (79.31%), #9 Mawingo (75.00%) and #1 Manighar (70.00%)
- Over the years the Underwood Stakes winner has followed the trend winner-roughie-winner-roughie and with Lion Tamer taking out the feature as a $16 outsider last year it is the favourite’s turn supporting a win by #1 Manighar ($2.30)
- #1 Manighar also comes via the Makybe Diva Stakes having run second to Southern Speed and 13 of the past 24 Underwood Stakes winners, including five of the past nine, all came via the Makybe Diva
- Along with the winner Southern Speed and runner-up Manighar other Underwood hopefuls to come via the Makybe Diva Stakes this year are #8 December Draw (8th), #12 Zabeelionaire (9th) and #9 Mawingo (11th)
- Manighar however would be the first eight-year-old in history to win with the races’ only two winners that were older than six being Almaarad and Always Aloof – both imports like Manighar
- History is also in favour of Memsie Stakes winner #3 Sincero ($5.50) as the past three Memsie Stakes winner to contest the Underwood all have won with El Segundo (2006), Weekend Hussler (2008) and So You Think (2010)
- If successful #14 Southern Speed will become the 11th horse to complete the Makybe Diva – Underwood Stakes double on Saturday
- Horses with winning form at the track are #1 Manighar (4-1-0-1), #3 Sincero (2-1-0-0), #8 December Draw (2-1-0-0), #12 Zabeelionaire (4-1-0-0) and with the best track record #14 Southern Speed (7-2-2-0)
- Over the distance the horses with the best record are #4 Voila Ici (2-1-0-0), #6 Niwot (2-1-0-0), #7 Drunken Sailor (4-1-1-2) and #14 Southern Speed (3-0-2-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our exclusive Underwood Stakes betting tips to be published shortly.
Already have the Underwood Stakes trifecta picked out and want to lock in your selections at the best prices in the country?
Visit bookmaker.com.au today and bet with confidence at Australia’s most trusted online bookmaker.
Don’t forget to use the special promo code BONUSBET too if you are a first-time depositing customer as bookmaker.com.au have a $400 bonus welcome bet waiting for you!
2012 Underwood Stakes Field & Form Guide
Caulfield Race 7 – 3:40pm – 22/09/2012
|1.||MANIGHAR||P G Moody||Luke Nolen||10||59||7yoG||14||$118,597||30: 10 6 5||33.33%||70.00%||1123×2|
|2.||WINCHESTER||J D Sadler||Jamie Mott||7||59||8yoH||301||$69,849||25: 6 6 3||24.00%||60.00%||x2153x|
|3.||SINCERO||S Farley||Michael Walker||12||59||5yoG||21||$73,283||23: 12 1 0||52.17%||56.52%||x454x1|
|4.||VOILA ICI||P G Moody||Vlad Duric||9||59||8yoH||21||$56,251||29: 13 5 5||44.83%||79.31%||x343x6|
|5.||MALUCKYDAY||“M, W and J Hawkes||Dwayne Dunn||2||59||6yoG||21||$91,114||14: 5 2 2||35.71%||64.29%||47x8x8|
|6.||NIWOT||“M, W and J Hawkes||Dean Holland||14||59||8yoG||21||$40,787||29: 9 4 1||31.03%||48.28%||5441×0|
|7.||DRUNKEN SAILOR||M D Moroney||Damien Oliver||3||59||8yoG||147||$23,920||48: 12 11 6||25.00%||60.42%||21230x|
|8.||DECEMBER DRAW||M A Kavanagh||Michael Rodd||13||59||7yoG||14||$23,991||24: 8 3 4||33.33%||62.50%||1110×8|
|9.||MAWINGO||Anthony Freedman||Ben Melham||8||59||5yoH||14||$43,683||12: 4 1 4||33.33%||75.00%||1313×0|
|10.||SANAGAS||J B Cummings||Brad Rawiller||1||59||7yoG||21||$23,404||12: 7 1 0||58.33%||66.67%||4116×0|
|11.||ILLO||J B Cummings||Steven Arnold||6||59||7yoH||14||$11,736||21: 5 4 3||23.81%||57.14%||2870×0|
|12.||ZABEELIONAIRE||L J Corstens||Craig Newitt||4||58||4yoH||14||$35,983||13: 3 1 0||23.08%||30.77%||5116×9|
|13.||OCEAN PARK||G T Hennessy||Glen Boss||5||58||4yoH||21||$33,516||8: 4 3 0||50.00%||87.50%||1282×1|
|14.||SOUTHERN SPEED||L Macdonald and A Gluyas||Craig Williams||11||57||5yoM||14||$122,375||22: 7 4 2||31.82%||59.09%||55×311|
*Form Guide Credit Ladbrokes.com.au
*All odds quoted are fixed win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change