A field bursting with spring superstars will line up in Saturday’s 2012 Makybe Diva Stakes at Flemington Racecourse and to help you back the winner below we have the Races.com.au’s exclusive Makybe Diva Stakes form guide and betting preview.
Due to jump at 3:35pm as Flemington Race 6 the $300,000 Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m) features 12 weight-for-age champs the favourite of which is Peter Moody’s autumn champ Manighar ($3.30).
Manighar resumes racing for the season and has an ambitious spring ahead with all the majors being considered including their third shot at the world famous Melbourne Cup on the first Tuesday of November.
The triple Group 1 winning import is followed closely in the Makybe Diva Stakes odds at bookmaker.com.au by last year’s Caulfield Cup winner Southern Speed ($3.40) who looks to have the fitness edge on Saturday after two runs this time in back home in South Australia.
The other top fancies are then Doomben Cup winner Mawingo ($5) and the returning December Draw ($8) who runs for the first time since breaking down and finishing dead last as the defeated favourite in last spring’s Caulfield Cup.
These are the horses the bookies are banking on, but is there a longer priced hopeful in the mix that can claim an upset in the early Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival feature?
Before you place your bets check out the must know info we have gathered below after studying the Makybe Diva Stakes field, form guide and betting history.
2012 Makybe Diva Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Makybe Diva Stakes was won by the Nigel Blackiston-trained Littorio who was a $40 roughie, won the race first-up and jumped from barrier 14 of 14 with Craig Williams in the saddle
- The roughies at $40 and over in this year’s markets are #8 Moudre ($41), #12 Dance With Her ($41), #4 Midas Touch ($51), #1 Efficient ($51) and #3 Mourayan ($61)
- Williams meanwhile will seek back-to-back wins with #11 Southern Speed ($3.40) while this year’s extreme outside barrier 12 of 12 belongs to #4 Midas Touch
- Horse resuming from a spell have a poor record in the race with Littorio (2011) and Confectioner (2005) the only first-up Makybe Diva Stakes winners in the past 30 years; 9 of the 12 horses in the race this year are returning from a break leaving only #4 Midas Touch ($51), #7 Second Effort ($17) and #11 Southern Speed ($3.40)
- Over 66% of all Makybe Diva Stakes winners since 1982 have come via the Lawrence Stakes at Caulfield, including 13 of the past 19; the only horse coming via the Lawrence this year is the winner Second Effort
- No mare has won the Makybe Diva Stakes since Saleous in 1996; this year mares out to buck the trend are #11 Southern Speed ($41)
- Only one favourite has won the race in the past eight runnings with Weekend Hussler ($1.85 in 2008) – this year #2 Manighar ($3.40) are battling for favouritism
- The horse with the best Win Rate in the field is #9 Shenzhou Steeds (46.67%) followed by #7 Second Effort (39.13%) and #6 Mawingo (36.36%)
- The highest Place Percentage then belongs to #6 Mawingo (81.82%) followed by #2 Manighar (68.97%)
- Horses with the best record at Flemington are #5 December Draw (4-4-0-0), #6 Mawingo (1-1-0-0) and #8 Moudre (5-3-0-0)
- Over the mile the horses with good form are then #12 Dance With Her (6-3-1-1-), #9 Shenzhou Steeds (6-3-0-0), #2 Manighar (1-1-0-0), #5 December Draw (5-2-0-1), #6 Mawingo (3-1-1-1) and #8 Moudre (1-1-0-0)
- Just three of the hopefuls meanwhile have won over the Track & Distance with #5 December Draw (1-1-0-0), #6 Mawingo (1-1-0-0) and #9 Shenzhou Steeds (2-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Makybe Diva Stakes tips to be published shortly.
Got your own selections you’re keen to lock in now? Visit bookmaker.com.au and jump on their juicy odds and you could also be enjoying a $400 bonus bet if you are a new depositing player that quotes the code BONUSBET!
2012 Makybe Diva Stakes Form Guide & Field
Flemington Race 6 – 3:35pm – 08/09/2012
*Form Guide Credit Ladbrokes.com.au
|1.||EFFICIENT||Robert Hickmott||Nicholas Hall||8||59||9yoG||133||$171,019||28: 7 1 0||25.00%||28.57%||x9052x|
|2.||MANIGHAR||P G Moody||Luke Nolen||5||59||7yoG||112||$120,825||29: 10 5 5||34.48%||68.97%||11123x|
|3.||MOURAYAN||Robert Hickmott||Eddie Cassar||7||59||7yoH||196||$47,439||29: 3 7 5||10.34%||51.72%||123x9x|
|4.||MIDAS TOUCH||Robert Hickmott||Steven King||12||59||6yoH||7||$71,260||17: 2 3 3||11.76%||47.06%||8x5x00|
|5.||DECEMBER DRAW||M A Kavanagh||Michael Rodd||2||59||7yoG||329||$24,773||23: 8 3 4||34.78%||65.22%||21110x|
|6.||MAWINGO||Anthony Freedman||Daniel Moor||11||59||5yoH||91||$47,654||11: 4 1 4||36.36%||81.82%||x1313x|
|7.||SECOND EFFORT||C W Mcdonald||Chris Symons||4||59||6yoG||7||$19,969||23: 9 3 3||39.13%||65.22%||110613|
|8.||MOUDRE||C Maher||Glen Boss||10||59||7yoG||546||$26,573||20: 7 4 2||35.00%||65.00%||1x089x|
|9.||SHENZHOU STEEDS||M D Moroney||Eddie Wilkinson||9||59||5yoG||70||$26,505||15: 7 1 0||46.67%||53.33%||x91611|
|10.||ZABEELIONAIRE||L J Corstens||Damien Oliver||1||58.5||4yoH||91||$38,982||12: 3 1 0||25.00%||33.33%||15116x|
|11.||SOUTHERN SPEED||L Macdonald and A Gluyas||Craig Williams||6||57||5yoM||14||$119,393||21: 6 4 2||28.57%||57.14%||255×31|
|12.||DANCE WITH HER||D Brideoake and D Feek||Dwayne Dunn||3||57||6yoM||91||$16,016||40: 11 9 5||27.50%||62.50%||01122x|
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change