Anthony Freedman has the Brisbane Winter Racing...
One of the key support races on Makybe Diva Stakes Day at Flemington Racecourse this Saturday is the mares-only 2012 Let’s Elope Stakes, and below the expert team of tipsters at Races.com.au has made their insider selections on the race public knowledge.
There are 12 mares engaged in this year’s edition of the $220,000 Group 2 Let’s Elope Stakes (1400m) which was won by subsequent Cox Plate winner Pinker Pinker 12 months ago.
Favourite for Flemington Race 4 at 2:15pm in the Let’s Elope Stakes odds at bookmaker.com.au is the consistent Lady Melksham at $3.20.
John Sadler’s local Artie Schiller four-year-old comes off a good first-up victory in the Group 3 Cockram Stakes (1200m) and has the endorsement of jockey Glen Boss that on firmer ground than the Heavy (10) she overcame there Lady Melksham will prove even harder to beat.
But in a field that includes other talent including Shanue Ritchie‘s star stablemates from New Zealand Miss Artistic ($11) and Zurella ($5.50) who ran the quinella in the NZ Oaks last season, and Peter Moody’s early market mover Total Attraction ($7.50 into $6.50) there could be value to in laying the favourite.
Having studied the 2012 Let’s Elope Stakes field and form guide below are our exclusive tips on the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival clash.
#4 Lady Melksham ($3.20)
- Deserved favourite is going to take some beating
- Won four of her five career starts to date, running third in the other, to give her a smart Win & Place rate
- Won the Group 3 Cockram Stakes (1200m) first-up at Caulfield on August 18 and is unbeaten second-up
- Debut victory was on a Dead track and while they have raced, and raced well, exclusively on wet ground since jockey Glen Boss tips them to improve on drier ground
- Has to overcome barrier 12 of 12 but has the distance and class to do so
#8 Zurella ($5.50)
- Could be a little dour over the 1400m first-up but is definitely one to watch
- Boasts the second best Win & Place rate of the field
- Last seen crossing second in the NZ Oaks, if they’ve matured over the break is in for a big spring
- Gets a draw (barrier four) and has a good record over 1600m (2-1-1-0)
- Debuts down under here but their form at home says not to ignore
#10 Total Attraction ($6.50)
- Money is coming for them and it’s often smart to follow that money trail
- Has the fitness edge over many of her rivals with two runs under her belt this time in, the last of which was a good third over 1400m in the wet at Caulfield
- Ran second over the mile in the Group 2 MV Fillies Classic during the autumn
- Has won one of their two starts at Flemington which was over the mile back in January
Roughie We Like
#3 Hi Belle ($11)
- Runs first-up and their record when resuming is good (6-2-1-0)
- Ran well at Flemington during the autumn when a close fourth in the Group 3 Schweppervescence Trophy over the mile
- Won their last race over the distance when putting two lengths on a decent field in the Group 3 Mannerism Stakes at Caulfield on Blue Diamond Day
- More suited to the mile but this distance first-up will suit
Fancy our Let’s Elope Stakes tips and want to lock them in at the best prices now ahead of the weekend? Head to bookmaker.com.au now and get in on the action, remembering to quote the code BONUSBET if you open a new bookmaker.com.au account to also enjoy a $400 bonus welcome bet on the house!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.