This Saturday the Chelmsford Stakes 2012 will take centre stage at Sydney’s Warwick Farm Racecourse and to help you clean out the bookies below we have provided our exclusive tips on the weight-for-age feature.
Running as Warwick Farm Race 5 at 3:15pm the $175,000 Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes (1600m) has this year attracted nine hopefuls, the clear favourite of which is Secret Admirer at a quote of $2.90 through bookmaker.com.au.
Of the reigning Epsom Handicap winners’ eight rivals the main dangers according to the Chelmsford Stakes odds are last year’s The Metropolitan third place-getter Lamasery ($5.50) and the Gary Portelli-trained local Somepin Anypin ($6.50) coming off a good first-up third at the track behind boom spring hopeful Moment Of Change.
Throw into the mix Peter Moody’s spring cups-bound mare Lights Of Heaven ($7) and the evergreen Chris Waller-trained veteran Danleigh ($7.50) and it is a wide open Chelmsford Stakes betting affair this year making it a tough one for the punters.
That’s where the Races.com.au team come in. We’ve done the hard work for our readers going over the 2012 Chelmsford Stakes field and form guide with a fine-toothed comb to discover where your money should be this weekend.
#4 Lamasery (bookmaker.com.au)
- Resumed last start and has a great second-up record (3-2-0-1)
- Is a specialist at the mile having won three of their four starts over 1600m and placed second in the other
- Ultra consistent Win / Place rate
- Caught the eye first-up when finishing one and a half lengths off Pinwheel in the Listed Show County Quality over 1400m having come from near last to fourth
- Get the extra 200m here and that is going to suit and they will be finishing off strongly and can win if they chase them down
#Secret Admirer ($2.90)
- Is the deserved favourite based on her record but just a little too short for us to take to win
- She was hard to knock when second first-up in the Warwick Stakes
- Group 1 winner so has the class but she will be peaking a little later and her strike rate leaves a bit to be desired
#1 Danleigh ($7.50)
- Chris Waller’s veteran nine-year-old proved they’re worth sticking with a few more times when a first-up third in the Warwick Stakes
- Great second-up record (12-4-1-2) so wouldn’t be surprised to see them improve on that and go even closer here under the WFA conditions
- Hasn’t won a race since the Group 1 Chipping Norton in March last year but had a few good runs in the autumn including a second in this year’s Chipping Norton
- Yet to finish out of the money at Warwick Farm (5-1-1-3) and expecting that to continue here as they also have a 100 percent Win/Place record over the track and distance (3-1-1-1)
Roughie We Like
#2 Ginga Dude ($18)
- Kiwi galloper runs first-up here and their record when resuming is pretty good (9-3-1-1)
- Won the Group 3 Tatt’s Cup (2200m) in Brisbane last time out against some nice types
- Last time running first-up they won over the Eagle Farm mile and then second-up they ran third in the Group 3 Lord Mayor’s Cup over the 1600m again so the distance holds no fears
- Has the right draw (three) to roll along up on the speed which is their style
Get in on the early Sydney Spring Racing Carnival betting action at Warwick Farm this Saturday online at bookmaker.com.au and you could be betting for free throughout the carnival!
Simply open a new bookmaker.com.au account, make your first deposit and quote the code BONUSBET to have your first investment matched 100 percent as a bonus bet valued up to $400 which can then be divided into four $100 bets to use on four races of your choice this season.