Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
Tonight the 2012 Darwin Cup will bring Fannie Bay Racecourse to life and to help our readers around Oz place the winning bet below we have our insider Darwin Cup betting tips.
Due to jump as Darwin Race 9 at 5:35pm the $185,000 Carlton Mid Darwin Cup (2000m) field is down to 12 hopefuls with the Stephen Brown-trained Bolton the firm $3 favourite at bookmaker.com.au.
Other single-figure chances in the Darwin Cup odds include last start Metric Mile winner Sheahan ($3.30) who is also prepared by local horseman Brown, smart Louis Paech-trained Redoute’s Choice five-year-old Glare ($5) and defending champion Hawks Bay ($5.50) who could be weighted out of contention with their hefty 64.5kg.
So which horse should you’re money be on for tonight’s Top End clash?
Having studied the 2012 Darwin Cup field and form guide the Races.com.au have come up with the best tips on the race.
#7 Glare ($5)
- Fancy them at this price based on their two last start efforts
- Highest Win & Place rate of the field (81%)
- Hasn’t seen the 2000m yet but looks to get it with ease having scored a 5.5 length victory over The Ruffian at Fannie Bay over 1900m last start in the Buntine Handicap
- Drawn a little wider but should be able to stay out of trouble from there
- Great record at the track with two wins from three starts
- Looks to be at their peak
#6 Sheahan ($3.30)
- Needs to improve to win but could do just that
- Beat home a similar field including stablemate Bolton in the Metric Mile last time out which produced last year’s Darwin Cup winner Hawks Bay
- Goes up 1.5kg to 55.5kg but is still in well with the weights
- Carried 59kg to victory two back over the Darwin mile so can handle the kilos
- Can she handle the distance? Goes up from 1600m and sees the 2000m for the first time
- Handles the distance she could challenge for the win
#1 Hawks Bay ($5.50)
- A pseudo-local that has a brilliant track record at Fannie Bay (16-7-3-1)
- Also well experienced over the Track & Distance (4-2-2-0) including their two seconds (2009 & 2010) and record breaking win (2011) in the Darwin Cup
- Has good lead-up form with back-to-back Darwin wins earlier in the season before their sixth in the Metric Mile
- Couldn’t handle 65kg last start so is likely to struggle with 64.5kg tonight, only reason we don’t think they can win
- Has barrier one, plenty of guts and plenty of miles in those legs so don’t leave out of any exotics
- Awesome Win & Place rate of 75%
#3 Bolton ($3)
- Is the favourite for a reason
- Good second in the Metric Mile last time out, should improve going up in distance
- Won the Listed Victoria Cup over the 2000m at Caulfield in February so has class and experience over the distance
- Drops half a kilo from last start to 57kg
Roughie We Like
#8 The Third Baseman ($21)
- Winner of the NT Derby last time out
- Comes from Alice Springs but relished getting up to the 2000m for the Derby which they won by four lengths
- Was their first win to date but they look to be a staying type and with a bit of luck can finish in the money over the 2000m again tonight
- Carried 58kg in the Derby and drop back to 54.5kg for the Cup
Get in on the Darwin Cup betting action now online with bookmaker.com.au – Australia’s premier online betting agency.
All new customers at bookmaker.com.au are also currently being rewarded with an instant $300 bonus bet when they deposit for the first time and use the promotional code BONUSBET during the easy sign-up process!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.