Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday the latest Group 1 race of the Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival will take centre stage at Doomben Racecourse with a talented field of stayers and Melbourne Cup types to face off in the 2012 Doomben Cup, the Races.com.au team’s exclusive form and betting analysis for which is detailed below.
Due to jump at 3:50pm as Doomben Race 7 the $500,000 Group 1 Kirks Doomben Cup (2000m) has attracted a top class field of 13 gallopers this year headed by Peter Moody’s ace import Manighar.
A triple Group 1 winner under Moody this season, Manighar was last seen running a brave second to champion mare More Joyous in the Group 1 Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m) on Sydney Cup Day.
The former Luca Cumani-trained grey reunites with jockey Luke Nolen who rode them for their opening five runs under Moody including their elite level victories in the Australian Cup, Ranvet Stakes and The BMW.
Unsurprisingly Manighar is dominating the Doomben Cup odds at bookmaker.com.au paying $2.20 to win after drawing on the rails in barrier one for Saturday’s clash.
So who are their main dangers?
The bookies are rating three other Doomben Cup horses as a genuine chance with boom Kiwi mare Shez Sinsational ($5.50), Moody’s one-time Caulfield Cup fancy Lights Of Heaven ($6) and Anthony Freedman’s up-and-comer Mawingo ($8.50).
So does Manighar already have the Doomben Cup in the bag like the markets suggest?
Do the bookies have it right for the Doomben Cup trifecta and first four selections?
Or is there more value to be found in a double-figure roughie such as dual defending champ Scenic Shot ($16), or the Chris Waller-trained improver Foreteller ($14)?
To help you pick the Doomben Cup winner we have done the hard work for you and after going over the full race form, betting history and stats come up with the below need to know Doomben Cup facts.
2012 Doomben Cup Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Doomben Cup winner Scenic Shot came off a third in the Hollindale Stakes, jumped form barrier 2 (of 9) and was ridden by Shane Scriven
- #2 Scenic Shot ($16) is back to defend their title and this year out for their third straight Doomben Cup victory, they come off a fifth in the Hollindale, have drawn barrier four and will again be ridden by Scriven
- If successful on Saturday dual defending champ Scenic Shot will join Rough Habit as the only other triple Doomben Cup winner
- Scenic Shot is also the only horse to have won at Doomben before (3-2-0-0)
- The only others that have had a run at the track previously are then #3 Triple Honour (4-0-0-1), #7 Saint Encosta (2-0-0-0) and #8 Mr Light Blue (3-0-1-0)
- Horses with the best record over the distance are #1 Manighar (3-2-1-0), #10 Shez Sinsatonal (4-3-1-0), #4 Wall Street (4-1-0-0), #5 Booming (9-2-2-1), #6 Foreteller (3-1-0-0), #8 Mr Light Blue (1-1-0-0), #9 Mawingo (3-1-0-1), and #11 Lights Of Heaven (3-1-0-1)
- Other Doomben Cup hopes coming via the Hollindale Stakes this year include #10 Shez Sinastional (1st), #11 Lights Of Heaven (2nd), #9 Mawingo (3rd) and #6 Foreteller (4th)
- Last year’s winning barrier (2) belongs on Saturday to #13 Fibrillation ($31)
- #10 Shez Sinsational ($5.50) boasts the highest Win Rate of the field with 42.86% followed by #11 Lights Of Heaven (36.36%) and #1 Manighar (35.71%)
- Horses with the best Place Percentages are then #10 Shez Sinsational (80.95%) and #9 Mawingo (77.78%)
- #10 Shez Sinsational (Group 2 Hollindale Stakes, 1800m, Gold Coast, 05/05/2012) is the only one coming off a last-start win
- Only five favourites have won the Doomben Cup in the past 20 years most recently Metal Bender (2010); this year #1 Manighar ($2.20) will jump the favourite
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Doomben Cup betting tips and selections to be published later in the week.
Already got your own picks that you want to lock in now before prices firm?
Then head to bookmaker.com.au and place your bets.
Remember also that bookmaker.com.au are currently running a hot welcome offer to new customers, rewarding them with a $300 bonus bet when they sign up and quote the code BONUSBET!
2012 Doomben Cup Field & Form Guide
Doomben Race 7 – 3:50pm – 19/05/2012
|1.||MANIGHAR||P G Moody||Luke Nolen||1||59||6yoG||21||$123,354||28: 10 5 4||35.71%||67.86%||131112|
|2.||SCENIC SHOT||D L Morton||Shane Scriven||4||59||9yoG||14||$42,618||71: 17 7 8||23.94%||45.07%||x80035|
|3.||TRIPLE HONOUR||R L Heathcote||Damian Browne||13||59||7yoG||14||$43,568||51: 7 8 5||13.73%||39.22%||7×4227|
|4.||WALL STREET||M D Moroney||Jimmy Byrne||8||59||7yoG||14||$46,402||33: 11 4 1||33.33%||48.48%||x63606|
|5.||BOOMING||J R Lynds||Jeff Lloyd||3||59||7yoG||24||$14,142||36: 8 7 2||22.22%||47.22%||508244|
|6.||FORETELLER||C J Waller||Corey Brown||9||59||5yoG||14||$18,251||22: 7 0 1||31.82%||36.36%||15×064|
|7.||SAINT ENCOSTA||John Thompson||Glyn Schofield||10||59||5yoG||14||$7,468||30: 2 4 2||6.67%||26.67%||0266×3|
|8.||MR LIGHT BLUE||B S Baldwin||Timothy Bell (a)||7||59||4yoG||14||$8,113||24: 6 6 4||25.00%||66.67%||117100|
|9.||MAWINGO||Anthony Freedman||Nash Rawiller||5||59||4yoH||14||$18,744||9: 3 1 3||33.33%||77.78%||4x5x13|
|10.||SHEZ SINSATIONAL||S A Sharrock||Opie Bosson||11||57||4yoM||14||$38,863||21: 9 5 3||42.86%||80.95%||013111|
|11.||LIGHTS OF HEAVEN||P G Moody||Damien Oliver||6||57||4yoM||14||$46,835||11: 4 2 1||36.36%||63.64%||930×72|
|12.||ABSOLUTELY||M C Kent||Brad Rawiller||12||57||4yoM||28||$33,536||14: 1 3 2||7.14%||42.86%||60×509|
|13.||FIBRILLATION||T R Martin||Brenton Avdulla||2||57||4yoM||21||$24,381||17: 4 3 2||23.53%||52.94%||579112|
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.