Warwick Farm horseman David Pfieffer is looking...
Peter Snowden’s class mare Beaded managed to shelve retirement plans and gain a 2012 BTC Cup start with an impressive track gallop earlier in the week but will the decision to press on with the six-year-old pay off for connections this Saturday?
The daughter of Lonhro returns to Brisbane for the $400,000 Group 1 BTC Cup (2000m) on Saturday having enjoyed an immensely successful Queensland raid in the winter of last year.
Finally breaking her Group 1 duck Beaded held on in a thrilling finish to win the Doomben 10,000 before running second in both the Stradbroke Handicap and Tatersall’s Tiara.
Unfortunately for Snowden and co. the mighty mare didn’t come back this season in the same form.
A first-up second in the Group 2 NSW Thoroughbred Breeders Classic (1200m) was followed by two dismal runs when 11th to Hay List in the Group 1 Newmarket Handicap (1200m) at Flemington and then a distant fifth to Foxwedge in the Group 1 William Reid Stakes (1200m) at Moonee Valley on March 23.
While her recent form leaves a lot to be desired there is no denying the ability Beaded boasts on her day.
“Beaded looks great, her work Tuesday was very good, and I can’t fault her,” Snowden said.
“I think she is going into this race at the top of her game.
“With mares, you never really know if their hearts are still in it until they are tested in a race but I just feel the signs are she still wants to be a racehorse.”
Snowden is also confident that gate eight will suit and that getting back a bit will actually work in her favour on Saturday.
“In the back of my mind is that in both of those Melbourne runs she was up on the pace, probably a bit too far forward,” he said.
“That’s why I believe barrier eight in the BTC Cup is not a bad gate.
“It might make her get back in the field a bit more. It should suit her being held up.
“Beaded, for such a little mare, is a great trier.
“I haven’t trained any who try harder than her, and if she can show her best form, then I’m sure she will be hard to beat.”
So will she show up at Doomben on Saturday and score an upset BTC Cup result?
There are now doubts surrounding whether race favourite Buffering ($2.60) will indeed start with a pending vet examination on a stone bruise.
The other early fancies are then Joe Pride’s Mossman five-year-old Neeson and three-year-old Fastnet Rock filly Sea Siren paying $7.50 each through bookmaker.com.au.
Beaded is the next best fancied at a nice $10 price.
See below for the evidence both for and against Beaded winning the BTC Cup 2012.
#11 Beaded – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Peter Snowden
- Jockey: Kerrin McEvoy
- Barrier: 8
- Weight: 56.5kg
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Lonhro (AUS) out of Subtle (AUS)
- Career: 25-10-7-5
- Prize Money: $1,578,780
- Win%: 40.00%
- Place%: 88.88%
- Last 6: 22×205
- Current BTC Cup Odds: $10
Yes – Beaded Can be the 2012 BTC Cup Winner
- Retirement was on the cards and if Snowden didn’t think she was a chance she’d be in the breeding bart – she has nothing to prove
- One of her regular riders Kerrin McEvoy rides
- Good draw with gate eight, has options and should stay out of trouble
- One of the most experienced Group 1 horse in the race along with Buffering
- Has amassed over $1.5 million in prize money
- Solid Win Rate of 40.00%, third best in the field
- Won the Doomben 10,000 last year in her last look at the track
- She is in fact undefeated at Doomben having also won the 2010 BRC Sprint here
- Nice record over the distance (14-5-5-2)
No – Beaded Won’t Win the BTC Cup 2012
- Her Doomben 10,000 winning jockey Corey Brown rides another aboard rival Neeson
- Something has been amiss and could still be on race day
- As a 6YO does she still have the zest for racing?
- Her win rate (40%) is good but her 88% place percentage suggests a Place Bet could be the better option
Seen enough to suggest a bet on Beaded in the BTC Cup betting markets wouldn’t go astray?
Head to our favourite online betting agency bookmaker.com.au now and get in on the action starting with a generous $300 bonus welcome bet when you Sign-up and Quote the code BONUSBET!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.