The Adelaide racing fans are set to flock to Morphettville in the thousands again this Saturday for The Goodwood 2012 where the mighty Black Caviar shoots for consecutive win No. 21, but another race worth a punt on at the meeting is the $150,000 Group 3 RA Lee Stakes (1600m).
Serving as the final appetiser to Black Caviar running as Race 6, one event before the $500,000 Group 1 The Goodwood (1200m), the 2012 RA Lee Stakes field features 11 middle distance gallopers led by $4.50 favourite Bagman.
The Sam Kavanagh-trained gelding comes off two third place finishes, firstly in the Group 3 Victoria Handicap (1400m) at Caulfield, and most recently to Verco Road in the Listed City of Adelaide Handicap (1400m) on April 21.
They drop back from 58.5kg last start to 56kg on Saturday with Chad Lever retaining the ride, and look nicely positioned to score for the favourite backers in barrier five.
While the favourite certainly has claims there could be value in another with five other RA Lee Stakes runners at single figures in:
- #1 Linton ($5.50) – Early market mover haven’t seen this one since they finished dead last in the Turnbull Stakes back in October, Lloyd Williams sold them off after that but there is some class there looking back over a record that included a second in the 2011 Australian Cup and third in the 2011 The BMW. No good first-up and probably not the right track or distance but keep an eye on in the spring. Sack Me Here and Save For Spring Betting.
- #2 Testa My Patience ($6.50) – This really is a horse to do as the name suggests and test punters’ patience. They are a Group 2 winner at Moonee Valley over the mile but have failed to do much of note in their three runs this time in. They are a genuine miler but they haven’t seen this track and didn’t really see much to suggest improvement last time out. Still they get Glen Boss and it isn’t the strongest field. Place Chance at Best.
- #7 Seville ($7) – Hickmott-trained Galileo four-year-old import has some good form in England including a second in a Group 1 in France when prepared by Robert Hickmott, they are being targeted for the longer spring features but have run well in Group 1 company over the mile before and should improve on their Aussie debut last start. Improver Worth an Each Way Look.
- #5 So Pristine ($7.50) – Peter Moody’s Zabeel mare is one of the better in this field for us. She has the experience and a decent strike rate, her form this time in has been good also and she won at the track and distance on April 28 in the Group 2 Queen of the South Stakes and can get the better of the boys here. Our Tip to Win at a Nice Price.
- #9 Zabisco ($8) – Michael Moroney’s Flemington visitor comes off a win at Caulfield which was eye-catching, they haven’t got a gate of late but have still been right there in the finish will do better from two here with Damien Oliver aboard. To Finish Second to So Pristine in the Quinella.
Fancy even more value? Really think Verco Road at $19 is worth a sneaky place bet.
They come off back-to-back wins at the track including the Listed CS Hayes Stakes over the mile in March and the Listed City of Adelaide Handicap (1400m) on April 21.
Don’t understand the price, we know they are a veteran going onto nine but they are in career best form!
Head to bookmaker.com.au now to view the complete 2012 RA Lee Stakes betting odds and options, and take advantage of our above preview and tips.
Don’t have a bookmaker.com.au account? Join today quoting the exclusive code BONUSBET and you will also be eligible for a generous $300 Bonus Bet. But hurry!