A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
With the news that race favourite Buffering is now only a 50-50 chance of running, and the first scratching from the field, BTC Cup 2012 betting markets have had a slight readjustment at bookies around the country ahead of tomorrow’s Doomben bash.
The first of the Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival elite levels, the $400,000 Group 1 BTC Cup (2000m) field is down to 14 sprinters following the withdrawal of #9 Title.
Joe Pride’s Honours List five-year-old has been in excellent for this time in winning the Listed Maurice McCarten Stakes (1100m) at Rosehill before their close last start fourth to Temple Of Boom in the Group 1 The Galaxy (1100m) at Randwick on April 21.
Pride however was hoping for a softer track at Doomben this weekend for Title and with the sunny skies and firming ground the Warwick Farm trainer has made the decision not to run them.
He will still be represented in the BTC Cup field however by the in-form Neeson who pays $9 in the latest markets at bookmaker.com.au.
Rob Heathcote’s stable star Buffering has retained their favouritism to win Saturday’s showdown and finally break their Group 1 duck but they have eased out from $2.60 to $2.80.
There is a 50% chance that the BTC Cup will lose its headliner too with Buffering pulling up sore after a track gallop this morning and needing to undergo a veterinary examination tomorrow morning before being cleared to race.
While the injury, a suspected stone bruise, isn’t serious it is a major setback for Heathcote and his winter claims.
“It’s not a serious injury but it looks like he’s got a stone bruise,” Heathcote said.
“My vet told me he’s better than a 50-50 chance of starting but I’m not so sure.
“One of my staff members noticed he was a little short in his action just after he was hosed down.”
While Buffering and Neeson ($7.50 out to $9) are drifting out in the BTC Cup betting markets there are a number of market movers that the punters are coming for including:
- #15 Sea Siren ($7.50 into $7.50) – Super consistent and super promising three-year-old Fastnet Rock filly from John O’Shea’s Sydney stables, has the draw (5), the jockey (Jim Cassidy) and the form but could lack a bit of experience
- #11 Beaded ($10 into $9.50) – Peter Snowden is happy with the reigning Doomben 10,000 winner and really that should be enough because if he didn’t think her capable she’d have been retired, if she wants to race and win she probably can but is up to the mare
- #4 Temple Of Boom ($13 into $11) – Tony Gollan’s Toowoomba galloper scored a Group 1 win last time out in The Galaxy and is looking for another, don’t have much hope from the extreme outside barrier and also question them over 1200m compared to the sit and sprint 1100m
The biggest market mover however has been Heathcote’s other hopeful Woorim.
Winner of the Oakleigh Plate first-up at Caulfield in February, the form line for which has proven a little suspect, Woorim earned a shot in the BTC Cup after working well with Buffering earlier in the week.
They have been disappointing of late but it seems the punters are tipping them for improvement as they have been smashed in from $15 to $11; is there racetrack whispers on this one you should be tuning into?
“We had him scoped after the George Ryder (when 17th of 17) and found he an upper respiratory infection or a cold like we get,” Heathcote said.
“The indications from his work are he is in good order. He showed a bit of extra zip in the gallop and he could well race a little more forward in the BTC Cup than what he’s accustomed to.”
See below for the full list of 2012 BTC Cup betting market moves and latest odds courtesy of bookmaker.com.au, and stay tuned for our exclusive tips for the big one in Brisbane this weekend.
When you’re ready to Place Your Bets head to the bookie offering new customers that quote the code BONUSBET a $300 bonus bet on the house – bookmaker.com.au!
2012 BTC Cup Betting Market Moves
Doomben Race 7 – 3:50pm – 12/05/2012
- 1. Black Piranha – Steady at $51
- 2. Scenic Blast – $41 into $31
- 3. Buffering – $2.60 out to $2.80
- 4. Temple Of Boom – $13 into $11
- 5. Woorim – $15 into $11
- 6. Neeson – $7.50 out to $9
- 7. Spirit Of Boom – $26 out to $31
- 8. Adebisi – $41 into $31
- 9. Title – Scratched
- 10. Facile Tigre – $26 into $21
- 11. Beaded – $10 into $9.50
- 12. Varenna Miss – Steady at $12
- 13. Elite Falls – $26 into $21
- 14. Satin Shoes – $17 out to $21
- 15. Sea Siren – $7.50 into $7
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win and subject to change – see bookmaker.com.au for updates and to bet now!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.